The World Bank Group’s Macroeconomics, Trade & Investment Global Practice (MTI) looks at macro and fiscal issues through the lens of poverty, structural transformation, long-term development, and the interplay between national and local governments. We offer technical advice (from big, comprehensive reports to short, just-in-time notes), budget financing (to smooth the impact of reforms), and convening power (so reforms can be owned by their stakeholders). Above all, we are the professional home of 300-plus passionate “Country Economists”, located in over 100 countries, who follow the day-to-day economic realities of each client as much as its historical, political, and social trends. They leverage their deep, sometimes unparalleled, country-specific knowledge with their peers around the world by sharing information, comparing experiences, and identifying best-practices. These economists are “country” and “global” at the same time.
- We produce over 200 pieces of analytical and advisory services a year.
- We deliver annually some $7 billion in fast-disbursing loans ($1 billion of which come from our concessional “IDA window”).
- We do real-time macro monitoring and country-risk assessments, publishing our trademark “Country Economic Updates” twice a year for most countries.
- We aggregate country-based data and information into our global macroeconomic model (“MFMod”), which helps us project world-wide and regional trends, and simulate the impact of unexpected events—like a collapse in oil prices.
- For countries that struggle with debt, we offer national debt management services.
- Our most sought-after products include Country Economic Memoranda, Policy Note Collections for Presidential Transitions,Public Expenditure Reviews, Tax Policy Analyses, Job Diagnoses, Global Position Papers, Systematic Country Diagnostics, Global Conferences, Development Policy Loans, Poverty Reduction Support Credits, Heavily Indebted Poor Countries and Multilateral Debt Relief Initiatives, and Subnational Budget Support Operations.
We work closely within the World Bank Group as well as with, the International Monetary Fund, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), regional banks, and bilateral aid agencies.
Our team provides a one-stop, locally-based, and globally-connected shop for analysis, technical assistance, financing, and innovation in macroeconomic and fiscal management.