Skip to Main Navigation

Human Resources


The World Bank
1818 H Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20433

Report the Addition of a Stepchild to Your Household


Staff must immediately report any life events or changes in household status within 60 days of the life event, even if the supporting documents are not immediately available. Staff must follow up with the outstanding information once it is available.

Addition of stepchildren who were not added at the time of marriage to your household is subject to review by HR Operations.




Action by Staff


Report the event of a stepchild joining your household within 60 days via myHR Self-Service (available only on World Bank’s intranet)

To confirm that you and your spouse provide at least 50 percent of the child’s principal support, attach:

  • court documents showing that your spouse has legal and physical custody of your stepchild.
  • proof that your stepchild resides with you. Example: school reports.
  • a copy of the child's birth certificate showing your spouse as the child’s parent.


In your email, ensure that you indicate that you want to include the child into the medical insurance program.


Action by HR


Review the submitted documentation, determine the stepchild’s eligibility for the World Bank Group's benefits, and notify the staff member through email.

If approved:

HQ staff and retirees: Send a confirmation email to the staff member stating that the child has been added to the Medical Insurance Plan.

CO staff and retirees: CO MBP Administrator reviews, signs, and sends the form F02367A (active staff) or F02368 (retirees) along with a copy of the supporting documents to HR Operations.


HR will not add the staff member’s stepchild as a dependent until the review is complete.


Action by Staff


Note the enrollment deadline. If you send the medical insurance document to HR Operations after 60 days, you will be required to wait until the next open enrollment period to enroll the dependent.


Retiree Medical Insurance Plan (RMIP) has no provision for open enrollment.


Important Guidelines


If your stepchild is arriving from outside the U.S., request a G4 visa.


If your stepchild is approved, you may be eligible for dependency allowance for your adopted child.

For more information, refer to Staff Rule 06.02.


COs have different rules regarding eligibility for dependency allowance. Contact your CO administrator for details.


If applicable, update your Form 70 Tax Allowance Certificate through myHR Self-Service (available only on World Bank’s intranet). Example: if you are a U.S. citizen receiving a tax allowance.


For more information, contact the Tax Office.