Skip to Main Navigation

Human Resources


The World Bank
1818 H Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20433

Request G1/G4 Visa for the First Time - Outside the U.S.


The World Bank Group assists staff and their dependents with applications for G4 visas outside the U.S.


  • G4 visas for staff and dependents are not valid for travel to the United States as of the last day of service with the World Bank Group, regardless of the date stamped on the G4 visa or I-94 form. The U.S. allows a 30-day grace period after completion of HQ service for G4 visa holders to leave the U.S. or change to another valid non-immigrant visa.
  • With the exception of dependent A type visa holders, U.S. immigration regulations require that any individual entitled to a G4 visa, such as a non-immigrant spouse of a Bank Group staff member holding a G4 visa, must be issued a G4 visa. In practice, this means that a spouse currently working in the U.S. on an H1B visa or other non-immigrant visas with work authorization must stop working immediately on appointment of the staff member until a valid work permit is obtained under the G4 dependent visa and must not work for the duration of time it takes to change status to a dependent G4 visa and subsequently obtain work authorization. This process can take several months. Therefore, prior to accepting an offer from the Bank Group, the incoming staff member should plan carefully with the spouse’s U.S. employer to accommodate the spouse's mandatory unpaid leave of absence.
  • The State Department has updated the definition of immediate family members in regard to dependent children eligible for G1 or G4 dependent visas (Diplomatic Note).

    Immediate family dependent children are now defined as the following:

o  Unmarried children up to 21 years of age, whether by blood or adoption, who reside regularly in the household of the principal staff member and are not members of another household (e.g. married)

o  Children up to 23 years of age, if enrolled full time as students at a post-secondary school

o  Children over 21 years of age, if disabled

o  Children between 23-26 years of age, actively receiving a benefit from sponsoring organization

State Department will no longer issue new G1/G4 dependent visas/renewals abroad or in the United States for dependent children who do not meet these criteria. Since all unmarried World Bank Group sons and daughters are eligible to receive medical and dental coverage until age 26, the changes in regulations will impact only those dependents aged 26 and over.





Action by Staff


Complete F00039 World Bank Group Overseas G4 Visa Request (RNGO) at least seven business days prior to the scheduled visit to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate overseas.

In the form, state the date on which you will visit the U.S. Consulate for the visa.

Note: For staff currently based in country office, an approved trip request or a signed letter from Manager should be attached to this request, to enable HR Operations to proceed.

G-4 visas for non-HQ assigned staff traveling to the U.S. on approved mission travel will only be issued to accompanying dependents (spouses and children) if mission travel is for a period of 90 days or more. (AMS Guidelines).

Attention: As of March 13, 2020 WB mission travel was suspended worldwide (kiosk).  For non-HQ assigned staff, official travel to the US must be for critical business purposes and cleared at the Vice-President level prior to requesting a G-4 visa.  Upload VP-level approved travel letter with purpose of travel and specific travel dates

All A & G stateside applicants requesting a visa in Canada must apply for their visas at the Embassy in Ottawa. Email address:

Applicants wishing to obtain a G4 visa in the Russian Federation must apply for their visas at the Embassy in Moscow. Email address:

The United States federal government operates border preclearance facilities at a number of ports and airports in foreign territory. For more details, click here.


Submit the form to Write to HR.

If you have an F1 visa, submit the following documents with F00039:

  • Copy of passport information page
  • Copy of F1 visa page from passport
  • Copy of I-94
  • Copy of I-20 form
  • Copy of employment authorization card (work permit)

Action by HR


Send an e-fax, copying the staff member, to the relevant consulate.


Action by Staff


Check the U.S. State Department website for embassy or consulate procedures specific to where the G4/G1 visa will be applied for and for approximate processing times.

The G4 visa is a 'non-immigrant' visa. If you do not find specific instructions on the U.S. State Department website for employees of international organizations, it is recommended you follow the instructions for diplomats and government officials.


These procedures change frequently and are not monitored by HR. Refer to the U.S. Department of State website for approximate visa wait times.


Carry the following documents for your appointment at the U.S. Consulate:

  • Passport valid for at least six months beyond submission to the U.S. Consulate
  • Copy of Letter of Appointment for new staff
  • Form DS-160 with a recent photograph that is in accordance with the U.S. State Department guidelines
  • Copy of the e-fax from HR to the U.S. Consulate requesting the initial G4 or G4 extension. This will be created based on your submission of the completed form F00039.
  • For dependents, a photocopy of the staff member's G4 visa
  • For spouses, the original marriage certificate and copy of staff member's employment verification letter.