The ongoing impacts of the COVID-19 outbreak are being felt as Thailand confronts several other challenges. These include most prominently a quickly aging population and a changing world of work characterized by rapid evolution in the skills that employers demand.
This report series aims to strengthen social protection and labor market policies in Thailand in the context of aging and economic transformation by improving our understanding of the critical reforms necessary to improve Thailand’s competitiveness. These reports provide an overview of Thailand’s social protection system, analyze the labor market implications of population aging, assess Thailand’s aged care system, and evaluate Thailand’s pension schemes. The five reports are:
- Aging and the Labor Market in Thailand – The report focuses on the labor market implications of aging in the context of the changing world of work. It finds that the negative impacts of population aging can be mitigated by smart policy decisions that eliminate barriers for people to develop and deploy their human capital effectively. [Download Report | Download Executive Summary]
- Towards Social Protection 4.0 – The report reviews Thailand’s social protection and labor market systems to assess how they can be strengthened to address existing and emerging vulnerabilities and to promote sustainable livelihoods in the context of rapid economic and social change. [Download Report | Download Executive Summary]
- The Macroeconomic and Fiscal Impact of Aging in Thailand – The report discusses the implications of aging for Thailand's fiscal and macroeconomic health and investigates how changes in Thailand's demography are likely to affect per capita growth. [Download Report]
- Caring for Thailand’s Aging Population – The report investigates the existing arrangements for aged care provision in Thailand, covering such modalities as familial, informal, and formal care provision, and makes recommendations for strengthening aged care as Thailand’s population grows older. [Download Report]
- Pension Provision in Thailand – The report focuses on Thailand’s pension system, looking at issues of fiscal sustainability, interactions with the labor market, and coverage expansion. [Download Report]