Skip to Main Navigation

Human Resources


The World Bank
1818 H Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20433

Request or Renew Employment Authorization Card



This checklist summarizes the steps to request or renew an Employment Authorization Card (EAC). The EAC is required for all paid jobsin the U.S., including international organizations, embassies, and non-profit organization.


NEW: Please note that in order to initiate the work permit application request via myHR Self-Service you must have all the required electronic documents completed and ready to be uploaded. Work permit requirements are subject to frequent changes as mandated by the State Department/USCIS.

The Department of State (State Department) mandates that individuals holding G-4 visas must attach the appropriate tax documents, including verification of filing the federal 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS), to work permit renewal requests. In the past, work permits were erroneously issued with the submission of tax form 1040.

As of May 7, 2020, verification of filing federal 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ is a copy of the IRS Federal Tax Transcript for the year(s) covering the most recent EAC and not the filed 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ. To obtain a free federal tax transcript, visit the IRS Tax Portal here: You will be required to create an account with the IRS online. Copies of Federal tax returns are no longer accepted.

If you have filed taxes previously using Form 1040 instead of 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, the applicant will need to file amended tax returns in order to obtain the correct federal IRS Tax Transcript.

State (DC, VA, MD) tax return requirements remain the same, EAC renewal applications must submit state tax returns as filed. State tax filings must be signed in blue ink when submitted for EAC renewals.

HR Operations Visa team will be ensuring that all work permit renewal requests are accompanied by IRS Tax Transcripts for federal tax filings and signed State income tax returns, for the period covering the term of the current or most recent work permit.

Requests submitted without the proper tax forms are being denied by the State Department.


Spouses or children of World Bank Group G4 employees, who hold a dependent G4 visa, may be eligible to work in the U.S. However, before such work can begin, the spouse or child must obtain an EAC from the USCIS.

An individual may apply if the:

  • staff member, applicant’s spouse or parent is employed by the Bank Group in the U.S. and holds a valid G4 principal visa.
  • applicant holds a dependent G4 visa.
  • staff member's assignment is expected to last more than six months (at least 100 days left in the contract for short-term consultants/temporaries (STC/STTs) on full time schedule) from the date of application for the EAC.
  • applicant lives in the same household as the staff member. Dependent children who live at school during the academic year are considered residents in the staff member's household.
  • applicant is physically in the U.S., as evidenced by his/her current I-94 available at the I-94 website

Dependent children

  • Dependent children may apply for a work permit from 16 years of age until their 23rd birthday
  • For dependent children between the age of 21 and 23, the children must be full-time students in the United States. The validity of the EAC stops on the 23rd birthday, unless a child is mentally or physically handicapped. Students at colleges or universities outside of the United States are not eligible for U.S. employment authorization cards.

Note: EACs are not available to domestic partners or children of domestic partners who are not legally adopted by the staff member


With the exception of dependent A type visa holders, U.S. immigration regulations require that any individual entitled to a G4 visa, such as a non-immigrant spouse of a Bank Group staff member holding a G4 visa, must be issued a G4 visa.

In practice, this means that a spouse currently working in the U.S. on an H1B visa or other non- immigrant visas with work authorization must stop working immediately on appointment of the staff member until a valid work permit is obtained under the G4 dependent visa, and must not work for the duration of time it takes to change status to a dependent G4 visa and subsequently obtain work authorization. This process can take several months.

Therefore, prior to accepting an offer from the Bank Group, the incoming staff member should plan carefully with the spouse U.S. employer to accommodate the spouse's mandatory unpaid leave of absence.

Step 1Staff to:

Verify whether the dependent G4 visa holder has a Personal Identification (PID) number by checking your visa profile in myHR Self-Service. If you do not have access to this system, email HROperations.

Note: If you do not currently have a PID number, refer to Register for a Personal Identification (PID) Number.

1.2Initiate the 'Work Permit Request' in myHR Self-Service after collecting the documents below.





















If employed, submit 1 copy of the original offer letter from your spouse/dependent's prospective employer. The letter must contain all of the following:

  • The organization's offer of employment—in the case of a renewal, offer of continued employment
  • Job title and duties
  • The number of hours per week expected to work
  • A statement of qualifications for the job and the reason
  • The salary the organization intends to pay
  • Duties (attach a copy of your job description)
  • Ensure the letter is signed by your Manager/HR Officer

If self-employed or not currently employed, submit:

1 copy of a letter containing all of the following information. Use this sample letter as a template.

  • Intent to work in a particular field
  • Qualifications
  • Proof of previous employment in intended field
  • Title and duties
  • Consultative fees for services
  • The number of hours per week expected to work
  • Prospective clients (DO NOT mention names of companies and organizations. Keep the list generic such as NGOs, Private Sector, Schools, etc.)
  • The source of advertising the services
  • Ensure the letter is signed by the applicant(self-attested)

   1 copy of the advertisement that will be used to announce services

   1 copy of the proof of previous employment document


The U.S. Department of State and USCIS require employer drafted and self- employment letters referenced above to contain all of the requested information. EAC applications will be returned if any of the requested information is missing. Ensure you submit a signed version of your employment letter. If applicants wish to seek employment from an organization or company, they must provide a job offer letter. Self-employment letters stating the applicant wishes to seek employment at an organization or company will be returned. Ensure that you submit a signed version of your employment or self-employment letter.

1.4Resume: All applicants must submit 1 copy of the resume. Prior work experience must be relevant to the work that will be performed, and applicants must show completion of education/training requirements related to intended work such as degree, diploma, and training certificates.

Complete (type-written) and print 1 original copy signed in blue ink of the Bank Group version of USCIS Form I-566. Do not change the pre-populated mailing address.

Note: Do not use the form from the USCIS website. If you hold an open appointment, use your mandatory retirement date as the expected end date of duty.

1.6Complete (type-written), print, and sign in blue ink, 1 original copy of USCIS Form I-765. Please ensure that the barcode at the bottom of the pages is printed. Note: Do not use the form from the USCIS website. Do not add any other information to the questions that are pre-filled.

Obtain 1 copy each of the following for the applicant (G4 dependent) and you (G4 principal):

  • High quality colored copy of the passport bio pages with full name, picture, nationality, date of birth, and passport number. Use the 'photo' setting available on most photocopy machines.
  • Colored copy of the latest G4 visa.
  • Copy of the latest I-94. If the I-94 was issued on or after May 1, 2013, navigate to the I-94 website to print it.

Note: The G4 visa and the passport of both the staff and the applicant must be valid for a minimum of 18 -20 weeks at the time the application is being submitted to the State Department.

If the I-94 was issued on or after May 1, 2013, navigate to the I-94 website to print it


Submit 2 color passport photos of the applicant in accordance with the U.S State Department guidelines, taken within the last 6 months and not previously used (should be different from the passport/visa picture with uniform white background and no shadows cast). Write the name of the applicant and 'World Bank Group' on the back of each photograph. For work permit renewals, the alien registration number should also be included on the back of each photograph. The alien registration number is the USCIS# on the current employment authorization card.

Note: Vending machine photos are not acceptable







For dependent children who are full-time students submit 2 copies of the original letter from the school registrar. The letter should:

  • Certify that the applicant is a full-time student
  • List the courses taken
  • List the credit hours carried
  • Provide details about the expected graduation
  • Be dated within the current academic term
  • Be an original on school stationery
  • Be signed by a school official
  • Contain the phone number of the certifying official

Note: All dependent children aged 21-23 must be full time students in the U.S. and college or university transcript and enrollment letter must be included with the application

1.10Obtain a minor work permit (child labor certificate) from the Department of Labor if the applicant is under 17 years of age in Maryland and provide job offer letter. See the Maryland Department of Labor’s Employment of Minors website for details.











For EAC renewal, also include:

  • 1 copy each of the applicant's U.S. Federal income tax transcripts for each year or partial year covered by the most recent EAC. To obtain free tax transcripts please visit transcript. You will be required to create an account with the IRS online.

Note: If Federal tax-transcript(s) is/are not available the State Department will not accept tax forms in lieu of transcripts.

In the absence of the Federal tax transcript please note that IRS has advised the State Department that mailing Form 4506-T will work to obtain a Federal Tax- Transcript. However, there is a backlog of correspondence (due to the COVID-19 pandemic) which will cause a delay in receiving the Federal Tax-Transcript.

  • 1 copy each of the applicant’s State income tax returns for each year or partial year covered by the most recent EAC. Sign copies of tax forms in all locations requesting applicants’ signature in blue or black ink to certify original signatures.
  • If tax returns are not available, the applicant must submit 1 copy of a signed and dated letter explaining the absence of tax returns.
  • If EAC was issued based on self-employment, but employment was not secured, the applicant must provide a signed letter explaining what efforts were made to secure employment to include evidence of advertisement
  • The -A- number required on the forms is your USCIS number available on  the front of the EAC.

Note: A G4 dependent visa holder is a non-resident for U.S. income tax purposes and files a Form 1040NR, and not Form 1040 or a 1040A, regardless of how long the G4 dependent has been physically present in the U.S. If taxes are filed electronically, the signature of the applicant is required on the relevant tax form.

  • Include 1 color copy of the most recent EAC (front and back), if the applicant is renewing an existing EAC authorization or submitting a new application but held an EAC authorization at any time previously on G4 visa status. If the old EAC is not available, you must submit an explanation as to why it is unavailable
1.12Schedule an appointment with HR Operations via, (select Work Permit Document Review at HQ) to have your file reviewed prior to submission. Please do not schedule an appointment prior to five business days after submission of myhrss request
1.13Once the application is reviewed and completed, HR will send you additional documents (Cover letter, Form I-566 page 7 signed and stamped), and the instructions to mail the application to the WBG mail room.
Step 2HR Sends:
2.1The staff member's completed application package, to the State Department.
2.2An email to the staff member, once the EAC is received from the State Department, with a scanned copy of the EAC.

Note: The State Department takes approximately 18 weeks to process the request and send the dependent's work permit. The Bank Group has no control over the duration of the process. There is no provision for 'urgent' applications and no tracking facility.

Employment authorization is job-specific. For spouses and domestic partners, the EAC is normally valid for three years or until the end of the staff member's contract with the Bank Group, whichever comes first. For children, the validity period varies. If the Bank Group staff member terminates employment, work authorization ceases immediately, with no grace period, even if the EAC card shows a later expiration date.

Please do not submit a change of address in the system while your request is still with the State Department/USCIS, as it will delay the process.

Step 3Staff to:

Collect the EAC from HR Operations.

Note: Retain copies of EAC cards, in case the original is lost or misplaced.


Apply for or update the Social Security card if it says 'NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT', at any Social Security Office.


  • If you are applying for an Employment Authorization Card for the first time and checked Yes to Question 14 in the I-765 (Do you want the SSA to issue you a Social Security Card?), the SSA will process your Social Security Card application automatically. The approved Social Security Card will be mailed to WB HR Operations within four weeks of the approval of the EAC. HR Operations will notify you when your card is ready for pick-up. Do not apply separately with the SSA.
  • For any other Social Security related questions, please contact a local SSA office. The 1300 D St SW, Washington, D.C. is recommended due to their familiarity with G4 visa.

Pay U.S. federal, state, and local—if applicable—income tax on all earnings. Proof of previous tax return is a requirement to renew EAC.

Note: The Bank Group will not assist G4 staff or their dependents with tax issues or questions.




Last Updated: Mar 07, 2022