Skip to Main Navigation

Human Resources


The World Bank
1818 H Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20433

Register for a Personal Identification (PID) Number


U.S. State Department Requirements

All staff based in HQ and their eligible dependents must be registered with the U.S. State Department and assigned a Personal Identification (PID) number within 15 days of the staff member’s entry-on-duty (EOD) date. The registration process should be completed for both new hires and existing staff who return to HQ from extended assignment. For staff returning to HQ, the PID request must be submitted within 15 days of the return from extended assignment (RFEA) date in order for the PID number to be re-activated.

Purpose of a PID number:

  • Allows a G4 visa holder to renew his/her visa inside the U.S.
  • Allows a G4 or G5 visa holder to obtain or renew a driver’s license in D.C., MD, or VA
  • Enables a staff member on G4 visa to obtain or renew a work authorization card for eligible dependents (spouse and children)

Who is required to obtain/reactivate a PID?

1.    Staff based in Washington, D.C.

  • New hire

o    Never worked in Washington, D.C. previously.

o    Joining from another International Organization like IMF, IADB, or UN

  • Staff relocating from country office to Washington, D.C.: Previously had a PID number before going on assignment and needs to have it reactivated.
  • Staff on Developmental Assignment in Washington, D.C. for more than 90 calendar days (three months).
  • Short-term staff (STT/STC) working full-time: Have more than 65 days in contract and work at least 35 hours per week.

2.    Dependents who are physically present in the U.S.

  • Spouse
  • Children below 26 years of age
  • Parents/parents-in-law

3.    G5 domestic employees




Action by Staff


Receive a system-generated email from HR Operations to complete your visa profile, and your dependents’, if applicable. Completing the visa profile will automatically initiate a PID request.


  • The first email notification will be sent five days after the EOD or RFEA date. You will receive up to three reminders until you complete it.
  • Contact HR Operations if you do not receive the email
  • If it has been 30 days from EOD or RFEA and you have not certified the Visa Profile for yourself and/or dependent(s), you will need to initiate the PID request via myHR Self Service >> Visa Services >> Other Visa Services >> Request for PID Number.


Certify and/or update visa profile for self and/or dependent(s) who are physically present in the U.S.

To complete/certify your visa profile, you must ensure all fields marked in red, including supporting documents are completed or uploaded. Be ready to upload legible copies of the following documents:

G1/G4 Visa or another Non-Immigrant Visa:

  • Passport bio/information page
  • G4 visa page
  • I-94

Permanent Residents:

  • Passport bio/information page
  • Copy of Green Card

U.S. Citizens

1.    By Birth

  • U.S. passport bio page
  • Birth Certificate
  • Driver’s License or State issued ID

2.    By Naturalization

3.    U.S. Naturalization Certificate


Track your request in the 'Track Your Requests' section of myHR Self-Service.


Action by HR Operations


Request/reactivate PID number with the State Department.


Action by Staff


Receive a system generated email confirming that the PID registration is completed and the PID number(s) issued.


  • A driver’s license letter is automatically issued by the State Department to the staff member and any eligible dependents via the staff member’s official email address. If the driver's license letter is not issued after receiving the PID, staff should submit a driver's license letter application via myHR Self-Service.
  • If the applicant has no intention of applying for a driver's license, s/he does not have to take any action and can delete the file.

Note: Staff telecommuting (standard) for more than 30 calendar days at a time may be unregistered with the US State Department.  Un-registration prevents staff and dependents from renewing their US driver license, using or renewing a US dependent work permit, or renewing a G visa inside the US.   Returning to the US to continue an HQ assignment would resume registration and HQ G-4 visa benefits. Staff must submit a PID registration using MyHR Self-Service once they have resumed their HQ assignment.  Telecommuting (standard) from outside the US for less than 30 calendar days at a time will not impact G-4 visas or State Department registration.