Skip to Main Navigation

Human Resources


The World Bank
1818 H Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20433

Stay Connected

Report Life Event - Marriage



Staff must immediately report any life events or changes in household status within 60 days of the life event, even if the supporting documents are not immediately available. Staff must follow up with the outstanding information once it is available.




Action by Staff


Report the marriage via myHR Self-Service  (available only on World Bank's intranet) and submit a legible electronic copy of:

  • Government-issued Marriage Certificate, and
  • Spouse’s passport. In case the passport is not available, provide two Government-issued identity proofs, example: Birth Certificate, Driver’s License, National ID. 

If reporting a stepchild as part of this request, staff should have a legible electronic copy of:

  • Hospital record confirming birth and relationship, or government issued birth certificate,
  • Document confirming custody of the child, and
  • Document confirming the child is residing in your household

If the name change is the result of a life event—such as a marriage, staff should have a legible electronic copy of:

  • Marriage certificate, in the event of marriage, or
  • Passport—only the pages showing name, date of birth, nationality, issued date—in the event of correction/misspelling.

Note: Please provide original documents along with English translation for documents in the local language.

If you do not have access to myHR Self-Service, complete and submit with the supporting documentation following the submission instructions on the form:


Action by HR Operations


Review the submitted request and supporting documents from the staff member and provide approval.

Note: If the supporting documentation is incorrect/incomplete HR will notify them to resubmit.


Action by Staff


Receive a system-generated confirmation email when the spouse has been added to your household and enrolled in insurance, if applicable.


  • Staff can 'Track your Request' from myHR Self-Service (available only on World Bank's intranet), including any messages from HR Operations requesting clarifications or additional information.
  • Retirees will receive an email from HR Operations, if additional information is required.
  • If the life event request has not been submitted within the 60-day period, the following options are available:

o Submit the Life Event request during the Open Enrollment period, which will be effective January 1 of the following year.

o  When an eligible dependent (newly enrolled in household) loses outside coverage, the staff member has 60 days from the loss of coverage date to enroll the dependent by submitting the required proof.


Additional Benefit Information


With a new member added to your household, you may want to take this opportunity to review other benefits.

Dependency Allowance:

HQ staff: You may be eligible for Dependency Allowance for your spouse.

CO staff: Each CO has different rules regarding eligibility for dependency (transition) allowance. Contact your CO administrator for details.

Refer to paragraph 03. Allowance for Spouse of Section III on Staff Rule 06.02.


Optional Group Life Insurance:

You may add one level of additional coverage of Optional Group Life Insurance within 60 days of marriage subject to a maximum level of optional coverage of five times the net salary.

To view current coverage, go to myHR Self-Service (available only on World Bank's intranet) to add additional coverage within 60 days of the life event, go through Group Life Insurance Late Enrollment.


If you have reported the marriage via myHR Self-Service and selected to enroll, you will be automatically enrolled.


Dependent’s Group Term Life Insurance:
You have 60 days from your marriage to enroll in Optional Dependent Group Life Insurance - HQ, CO, if:

  • prior to the marriage, you had no dependent children.
  • you are not marrying your registered domestic partner.


If you already have Optional Dependent Group Life Insurance, your spouse is automatically covered after marriage.

HQ staff may increase to High coverage.


Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance:
You may purchase additional family coverage of Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance that doubles your spouse and dependent child coverage to three times and 1.5 times your net annual salary respectively.


Your spouse is automatically covered under the Bank's Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance at 1.5 times your net annual salary with you as the beneficiary. Eligible dependent step-children are covered at 0.75 times your net annual salary.


Life and Accident Insurance Beneficiaries:

  • To view your current beneficiaries, click here (available only on World Bank's intranet).
  • To change your insurance beneficiaries, click here (available only on World Bank's intranet).

If you do not have access to myHR Self-Service, complete the relevant form and send to HR Operations:


Pension Beneficiaries:

You may wish to change your pension beneficiaries. View your current pension beneficiary or change your pension beneficiary, here (available only on World Bank's intranet).


Other related links for HQ Staff:

  • G Visa: If applicable, request a G4 visa for your spouse. Dependent G4 visa holders are eligible for work authorization.
  • Tax Allowance: If you are a U.S. citizen receiving a Tax allowance—update your Form 70 Tax Allowance Certificate (available only on World Bank's intranet).
  • Bank Group Security ID: Request a security ID—building entry pass—for your spouse via eServices.
  • WBFN: The spouse may register with the World Bank Family Network (WBFN).
  • Orientation: Register your spouse/domestic partner in a one-day orientation program.
  • Fitness Center: Refer to the Fitness Center page (available only on World Bank's intranet) for related information.