Skip to Main Navigation

Human Resources


The World Bank
1818 H Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20433

Renew G4/G1 Visa Inside the U.S.


This checklist summarizes the steps to be performed to renew a G4/G1 visa inside the U.S. Only staff whose duty station and work location are Washington, D.C. are eligible to apply.


G4 visas for staff and dependents are not valid for travel to the United States as of the last day of service with the World Bank Group, regardless of the date stamped on the G4 visa or I-94 form. The U.S. allows a 30-day grace period after completion of HQ service for G4 visa holders to leave the U.S. or change to another valid non-immigrant visa.

With the exception of dependent A type visa holders, U.S. immigration regulations require that any individual entitled to a G4 visa, such as a non-immigrant spouse of a Bank Group staff member holding a G4 visa, must be issued a G4 visa. In practice, this means that a spouse currently working in the U.S. on an H1B visa or other non-immigrant visas with work authorization must stop working immediately on appointment of the staff member until a valid work permit is obtained under the G4 dependent visa and must not work for the duration of time it takes to change status to a dependent G4 visa and subsequently obtain work authorization. This process can take several months. Therefore, prior to accepting an offer from the Bank Group, the incoming staff member should plan carefully with the spouse’s U.S. employer to accommodate the spouse's mandatory unpaid leave of absence.

  • The G4 visa is a 'non-immigrant' visa.
  • A G4 visa of a staff member and his/her dependents, expires on the last day of the staff member’s service with the World Bank Group, regardless of the date stamped on the G4 visa or I-94. The U.S. provides a 30-day grace period for G4 visa holders to leave the U.S. or change their visa status.
  • Eligibility for a G1/G4 visa as a dependent child ends when benefits have terminated for the child, generally at age 26 if not covered by the handicapped dependent child provision. The State Department requires verification of dependency with each renewal request for children over the age of 21. If the child does not satisfy the U.S. State Department criteria to obtain or maintain a G1/G4 dependent visa as of age 26, the child must obtain an alternate visa in order to remain in the U.S. regardless of the expiration date printed on the G1/G4 visa. The child has a 30-day grace period after becoming age 26 to start the change of visa process inside the U.S. or leave the U.S. Once the dependent child has departed, they cannot re-enter the U.S. again on the G1/G4 visa. Please contact HR Operations to discuss the process for changing to a different available visa status.

The U.S. State Department has updated the definition of immediate family members in regard to dependent children eligible for G1 or G4 dependent visas (Diplomatic Note).

Immediate family dependent children are now defined as the following:

  • Unmarried children up to 21 years of age, whether by blood or adoption, who reside regularly in the household of the principal staff member and are not members of another household (e.g. married)
  • Children up to 23 years of age, if enrolled full time as students at a post-secondary school
  • Children over 21 years of age, if disabled
  • Children 23-26 years of age actively receiving a benefit from sponsoring organization

The U.S. State Department will no longer issue new G1/G4 dependent visas/renewals abroad or in the United States for dependent children who do not meet these criteria. Since all unmarried World Bank Group sons and daughters are eligible to receive medical and dental coverage until 26 years of age, the changes in regulations will impact only those dependents of 26 years of age and over.





Action by Staff


Verify whether you and/or the G4 dependents have Personal Identification (PID) numbers by checking your visa profile in myHR Self-Service (available only on Bank’s intranet). G4 visa holders must have a PID number before HR Operations can initiate the renewal request.

If you do not have access to this system, email HR Operations.


PID numbers are assigned by the U.S. State Department.


Submit a visa request through myHR Self-Service (available only on Bank’s intranet) within than 60 calendar days of the visa expiration date.

If a G4 dependent's visa expires within 60 days of your own G4 visa, submit all such renewal requests simultaneously.


Print the confirmation page from myHR Self-Service (available only on Bank’s intranet).


Complete, print, and sign the confirmation page from myHR Self-Service (available only on Bank’s intranet).

G4 visa requests must be made to the U.S. State Department using the online Form DS-1648. You must upload a digital photograph of each applicant in the online form. Refer to the State Department's photo standards.


  • Barcode must be fully visible on the DS-1648 confirmation page.
  • When filling DS-1648, select Diplomatic Liaison of the Visa Office in Washington, D.C. as the location.
  • The picture may not be more than six months old, with a white or beige background. Do not use your passport or previous visa picture. For more details, click here.
  • Staff can obtain digital photos from the GCS Photography Unit and from commercial photographers.
  • Eye glasses are no longer permitted in visa photos.


Submit your passport (valid for at least 6 months) and the following supporting documents to HR Operations in person:

  • I-94: TWO COPIES for each applicant. The latest I-94 record may be accessed at
  • Form DS-1648: THREE COPIES of the confirmation page for each applicant. Location to be selected must be: Diplomatic Liaison of the Visa Office in Washington, DC
  • If you are renewing your dependents G4 only, include a copy of your passport information page, G4 visa, and Form I-94.
  • For a G4 renewal of an extended family member (not a spouse or dependent child), a “To Whom It May Concern” letter from you certifying that your relative is fully dependent upon you and for how long this has been so, and that your relative resides PERMANENTLY in your household at Headquarters. Subject to audit.
  • For a G4 renewal of an unmarried dependent child age 21+, a “To Whom It May Concern” letter from you explaining why the child is still a dependent, AND, if the child is a student, a school certification letter and transcript, AND, if the reason for dependency is medical/disability, a certification letter from the physician.


The passport should be valid for at least 6 months. Submit the expired passport if the G4 visa is stamped there.

Last Updated: Jul 17, 2020