Skip to Main Navigation

Human Resources


The World Bank
1818 H Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20433

Renew G5 Outside the U.S.


This checklist summarizes the steps involved in renewing a G5 visa outside the U.S.


G5 visas cannot be renewed inside the U.S. However, a G5 domestic employee whose G5 visa expires while s/he is in the U.S. is not required to leave the U.S. as long as:

  • the I-94 has not expired.
  • s/he remains employed by an active World Bank Group staff member who is on a G4 visa. See Request Extension of I-94.

A G5 visa is a non-immigrant visa.





Action by Staff


Submit the following through myHR Self-Service:


Action by HR


Send an e-fax, copying the staff member, on behalf of the G5 visa holder to the embassy/consulate, requesting a new G5 visa.


Action by Staff


Check the U.S. State Department website for the embassy/consulate procedures specific to where the G5 visa holder will renew his/her visa and for approximate visa wait times.


These procedures change constantly and are not monitored by HR. For example, some embassies require appointments.


Have your G5 domestic employee submit the following when s/he visits the embassy/consulate to apply for the new G5 visa:

  • Recent photograph according to the State Department's guidelines for visa renewals. Some consulates require two or more photographs.
  • Passport valid for at least two years beyond date of submission to the U.S. Consulate
  • The original signed, valid G5 contract
  • Copy of the e-fax sent by HR Operations to the U.S. consulate/embassy on behalf of the G5 visa holder
  • A letter from you certifying that the G5 visa holder is currently employed by you and is in good standing
  • Form DS-160
  • An Employment Verification Letter verifying your employment with the Bank Group
  • Notarized copies of your passport information page, G4 visa, and I-94
  • Any documentation related to employment prior to the renewal including W2 forms, copies of U.S. income tax returns, pay records, or time sheets


The G5 visa holder should visit the U.S. embassy/consulate as quickly as possible at the start of his/her time abroad.


Complete and retain USCIS Form I-9.


Do not file the form with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You must retain the form either for three years after the date of hire or for one year after employment is terminated, whichever is later. The form must be available for inspection by authorized U.S. government officials such as the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Labor.