Skip to Main Navigation

Human Resources


The World Bank
1818 H Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20433

Obtain Social Security Number for G4/G5 Visa Holders in the U.S.



If you are applying for an Employment Authorization Card for the first time and checked Yes to Question 14 in the I-765 (Do you want the SSA to issue you a Social Security Card?), the SSA will process your Social Security Card application automatically. The approved Social Security Card will be mailed to WB HR Operations within four weeks of the approval of the EAC. HR Operations will notify you when your card is ready for pick-up. Do not apply separately with the SSA.

For any other Social Security related questions, please contact a local SSA office. The 1300 D St. SW, Washington, D.C. office is recommended due to their familiarity with G4 visas.

The U.S. Social Security Administration office issues social security numbers (SSNs) to G4 principals and G5 domestics, but not to:

Many G4 principals and G5 domestics obtain an SSN when:

  • obtaining credit outside the Bank-Fund Staff Federal Credit Union (BFSFCU).
  • filing taxes on non-Bank income.
  • paying employer taxes if a G5 domestic is employed.
  • getting a driver's license in Washington, D.C., Maryland, or Virginia. Most states require driver's license applicants to either provide an SSN or provide proof that they are ineligible for an SSN.


G4 visa holding staff and dependents who have not obtained work authorization and/or do not plan to work for an entity other than the World Bank Group or another IFI, should visit a Social Security Administration office with their passport and I-94 to request a denial letter (SSA-L676) stating that the individual is not eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN). This letter does not affect an individual’s ability to request an SSN in the future. This option is strongly encouraged for minor children.





Action by Staff


Refer to Social Security Numbers for Non-citizens on the Social Security website for current information.


HR Operations does not monitor the Social Security website for changes.

If you have recently arrived in the U.S. on a visa, contact the Social Security Administration for information on when you can apply for an SSN.


Visit the Social Security office to apply for an SSN and carry these documents for your visit:

  • Completed Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5)
  • Basic Employment Verification Letter signed by the manager. The letter can be obtained from myHR Self-Service.
  • If you are a short-term consultant/short-term temporary (STC/STT), appointment letter as proof of employment with the Bank Group
  • I-94 (arrival/departure record)
  • Passport


Applications can be submitted at 1300 D St SW, Washington, D.C. or at any other Social Security Office.


For dependents (spouse and children), there is an option to apply for the SSN along with the Request or Renew Employment Authorization Card, by answering YES to question 14 on form I-765.