Skip to Main Navigation

Health and Safety Directorate

DAPP - Frequently Asked Questions

What to Expect When You Contact Us?

Confidentiality - Support - Resources.

Our program is here to listen and help deescalate the situation you are experiencing. We provide information and connect you to resources, which can include crisis management, short term counseling, legal consultation and referrals to outside attorneys, case management and other internal or external resources.

How much do these services cost?

Our program provides free confidential services for short term counseling and case management. If you have legal questions, our partnering Domestic Violence attorneys can provide you with legal resources, options, and referrals to outside attorneys.

Who Supports the DAPP?

The Domestic Abuse Prevention Program has an Advisory Steering Committee comprised of representatives from several World Bank Group units: Office of Ethics and Business Conduct, Legal Department, Staff Association, Corporate Security, IBRD and IFC Human Resources, Counselling Unit of the Health & Safety Services Department, World Bank Family Network (WBFN) and off-site Domestic Violence attorneys consulting for our program.

The DAPP also provides services to the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and limited services to Inter-American Development Bank (IADB).

Who Can I talk To?

Call our confidential domestic abuse prevention hotline +1 (202) 458-5800 or email us at

How can I protect myself and my children?

In the US, if you are experiencing an emergency or if you want to report violence to the police, dial 911 immediately.

  • If you live in a Country Office, follow CO specific emergency procedures (also see overseas medical emergency procedures) or contact your local authorities. You also may call the Bank’s Security Office at +1 (202) 458-8888 to discuss your concerns about abuse, harassment, or safety in the workplace.
  • For non-emergencies, contact our hotline for more information.

If you feel unsafe for you and your children, please see next question.

I don’t feel safe at home, what can I do?

In the US, if you feel it is unsafe for you or your children to live in your home, you may wish to move temporarily to a domestic violence shelter.

  • To find a shelter near you, contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (1-800-799-7233 or visit The hotline provides confidential information and resources. You also may call your state coalition for assistance.
  • If you do not wish to leave your home, but want to work with a local domestic violence program to help you with safety planning, you may contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline or your state coalition and local programs to assist you (see Resources).

Are you an Abuser?

If you are concerned that you are exhibiting abusive behaviors towards your partner, there is help. Please contact the DAPP Hotline (always available, 24/7) at +1 (202) 458-5800.

Confidential and free counseling and related supportive services are provided by experienced counselors who are trained to work with individuals who engage in abusive behavior.