In its eighth edition and organized yearly by the European Commission, the European Development Days (EDDs) is Europe’s premier forum on international affairs and development cooperation, bringing together thousands of development advocates, decision-makers and practitioners.
The theme of this year's edition, taking place in Brussels on 26 and 27 November, A decent life for all by 2030 - Building a consensus for a new development agenda, ties in well with the World Bank Group's newly adopted goals and strategy to eradicate extreme poverty and foster shared prosperity . It thus provides an opportune occasion for the World Bank Group to exchange perspectives with a broad range of stakeholders on how to advance these widely shared objectives.
To this end, the Bank Group is contributing to the organization of high level panels and project labs, and providing speakers and research findings to debates and discussions on a range of issues relating to the Post-2015 development agenda. More specifically:
- IFC, the private sector arm of the World Bank Group, is co-organizing a High Level Panel titled Aid for trade, trade for aid : What's the new deal? bringing together a number of leading figures in international trade, including Pascal Lamy - Former Director General of the World Trade Organization and Fatima Acyl – African Union Commissioner for Trade and Industry.
- IFC is also organizing a panel on private sector job creation, where Roland Michelitsch, IFC Chief Result Measurement Specialist, will address constraints to job creation and the effects of their removal. Panelists will also discuss Let’s Work a global partnership coordinated by IFC to create more and better private sector.
See IFC and Job Creation.
- The Chief Economist Office of the World Bank Africa Region represented by Luc Christiaensen, Sr Economist - is co-hosting a technical discussion on Agriculture in Africa reviewing conventional wisdoms on Africa’s agriculture and the livelihoods of its farmers. (make a link to the brochure)
- Senior Health Specialist Christophe Lemiere will speak at a technical discussion titled Sex and Reproduction: Do Donors Care? that gives focus to donors' investments in reproductive health.
- The Bank Group is contributing with knowledge and research findings to the organization of high-level panel discussions on the health MDGs, inclusive and sustainable education systems and women’s Empowerment .
Finally, as head of the World Bank Group Delegation to the EDDs, World Bank Special Representative to Europe, Stefan Emblad will participate in a ministerial breakfast meeting hosted by European Commissioner Andris Piebalgs on the Post 2015 Agenda alongside several development minsters and heads of development agencies from EU member states and other donor countries, as well as high level representatives from multilateral agencies.
For more information, please contact Guggi Laryea – email@example.com