As countries around the world work to contain the spread and impact of coronavirus (COVID-19), the World Bank Group (WBG) is taking broad, fast, and decisive action to help developing countries in the East Asia and Pacific region and worldwide strengthen their pandemic response and health care systems.
The WBG will be providing up to $160 billion in financing over 15 months, tailored to the health, economic and social shocks countries are facing. In addition to ongoing health support, operations will emphasize social protection, poverty alleviation, and policy-based financing.
Partnerships are key to effective COVID-19 responses. The WBG-Korea partnership aims to help countries achieve successful public health responses to COVID-19, focusing on governance and institutions, processes and procedures, policies and regulatory frameworks, as well as capacity building.
To help countries access critically needed emergency supplies, the WBG Korea Office supports a new procurement process under the World Bank’s procurement framework that helps countries purchase medical equipment and supplies from Korea.
The WBG Korea Office is also working with the Korean government to share the country’s expertise and experience , particularly in the use of innovative and technology-enabled solutions to respond to COVID-19. In collaboration with health experts from Korea, the World Bank is working on a comprehensive case study on Korea’s COVID-19 response, which will be published shortly.
Learn more about Korea’s COVID-19 Response and Experience
- Korea’s response to COVID-19: Early lessons in tackling the pandemic
- The role of geospatial information in confronting COVID-19 – Learning from Korea
- Response to COVID-19: Preparing for School Re-Opening – The Case of South Korea
- GDI Case Study: The Republic of Korea’s First 70 Days of Responding to the COVID-19 Outbreak
- Korean Public Finance Information Services (KPFIS) Response to COVID-19: Learning from dBrain Resilience
- Responding to COVID-19: Early Lessons from Korea and Global Partnerships on Innovation and Technology