Skip to Main Navigation

Human Resources


The World Bank
1818 H Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20433

Request G4 Visa for Parent or Parent-in-Law


The checklist summarizes the steps that need to be performed to request a G4 visa for a parent or parent-in-law.



  • You are a staff member in G4 principal visa status or a U.S. permanent resident with at least six (6) months remaining on an HQ assignment.
  • You provide more than 50 percent of your dependent parent/parent-in-law’s total financial support, subject to audit.
  • Your dependent parent/parent-in-law:

o  intends to reside permanently with you in your household at HQ.

o  receives a gross income from all worldwide sources of less than $10,712 per calendar year, including but not limited to social security, pension, investments, and support from other family members.





Action by Staff


Submit the following documents via myHR Self-Service (available only if connected to the Bank's intranet):

  • Copy of the prospective dependent's passport information pages showing name, gender, date of birth, nationality, passport number, issue date, and expiry date
  • Proof of relationship of prospective dependent, such as the staff member’s or spouse’s birth certificate (official/certified English translation, if not originally in English) showing parents’ names
  • Notarized statement certifying the following qualification details (template):

o  Dependent’s gross income and financial support details

o  Your agreement that the prospective dependent intends to reside permanently in your household



Action by HR


If approved, fax the dependent G4 visa request to the appropriate U.S. Consulate and send a copy of the request to the staff member. This is done a few days prior to the individual’s visit to the Consulate.


An approval by HR Operations does not guarantee that a visa will be issued. The decision is at the discretion of the U.S. Consulate.


Action by Staff


Check the U.S. State Department website for procedures specific to the embassy or Consulate in which your dependent parents/parents-in-law will seek a visa.


These procedures change constantly and are not monitored by HR. Example: some embassies require appointments.  If you are not sure of the process, it is recommended that you contact the embassy before visiting it.


Apply for the visa according to embassy/consulate procedures. Ensure that the dependents take these documents:

  • Copy of the faxed visa request from HR Operations
  • Copies of G4 principal passport and G4 visa (or U.S. green card, if applicable)
  • Passport
  • Recent photo in accordance with the U.S. State Department guidelines
  • Proof of relationship to the principal G4 visa holder such as original birth certificate
  • Form DS-160