Skip to Main Navigation

Human Resources


The World Bank
1818 H Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20433

Renew G4/G1 Visa Outside the U.S.


G4/G1 and dependent visas can be renewed outside the U.S. within 60 calendar days of the visa expiration date except in the case of a change of passport, where staff and/or dependent can renew the visa earlier.


  • G4 visas for staff and dependents are not valid for travel to the United States as of the last day of service with the World Bank Group, regardless of the date stamped on the G4 visa or I-94 form. The U.S. allows a 30-day grace period after completion of HQ service for G4 visa holders to leave the U.S. or change to another valid non-immigrant visa.
  • With the exception of dependent A type visa holders, U.S. immigration regulations require that any individual entitled to a G4 visa, such as a non-immigrant spouse of a Bank Group staff member holding a G4 visa, must be issued a G4 visa. In practice, this means that a spouse currently working in the U.S. on an H1B visa or other non-immigrant visas with work authorization must stop working immediately on appointment of the staff member until a valid work permit is obtained under the G4 dependent visa, and must not work for the duration of time it takes to change status to a dependent G4 visa and subsequently obtain work authorization. This process can take several months. Therefore, prior to accepting an offer from the Bank Group, the incoming staff member should plan carefully with the spouse’s U.S. employer to accommodate the spouse's mandatory unpaid leave of absence.
  • The State Department has updated the definition of immediate family members in regard to dependent children eligible for G1 or G4 dependent visas (Diplomatic Note).

    Immediate family dependent children are now defined as the following:

o  Unmarried children up to 21 years of age, whether by blood or adoption, who reside regularly in the household of the principal staff member and are not members of another household (e.g. married)

o  Children up to 23 years of age, if enrolled full time as students at a post-secondary school

o  Children over 21years of age, if disabled

o  Children 23-26 years of age, actively receiving a benefit from sponsoring organization

The State Department will no longer issue new G1/G4 dependent visas/renewals abroad or in the United States for dependent children who do not meet these criteria. Since all unmarried World Bank Group sons and daughters are eligible to receive medical and dental coverage until age 26, the changes in regulations will impact only those dependents aged 26 and over.





Action by Staff


Submit a request for G4/G1 visa renewal depending on the appointment type.

Attention: For non-HQ assigned staff, official travel to the US continues to be for critical business purposes and cleared at the WB/IFC Head of Office (line Director for HQ travel)-level prior to requesting a G-4 visa. This approval requirement applies to all official travel including appointment and assignment-related trips (e.g. pre-assignment, relocation as eligible). In addition to an approved travel request (TR) in the travel portal, upload Director-level approved travel letter with purpose of travel and specific travel dates to MyHR Self-Service when requesting a G-4 visa eFax.

All A & G stateside applicants wishing to obtain a G4 visa in Canada must apply for their visas at the Embassy in Ottawa. Email address:

Applicants wishing to obtain a G4 visa in the Russian Federation must apply for their visas at the Embassy in Moscow. Email address:

The United States federal government operates border preclearance facilities at a number of ports and airports in foreign territory. For more details, click here.


Action by HR


Send an e-fax on behalf of the G4/G1 visa holder to the Embassy/Consulate requesting for visa renewal.


Action by Staff


Check the U.S. State Department website for embassy or consulate procedures specific to where the G4/G1 visa will be renewed and for approximate processing times.


These procedures change constantly and are not monitored by HR.

Carry these documents to your appointment at the U.S. embassy/consulate:

  • Passport valid for at least six months beyond submission to the U.S. Consulate
  • Employment verification letter
  • Copy of the e-fax from HR to the U.S. Consulate requesting the G4 or G1 extension
  • Form DS-160 with a recent photograph that is in accordance with the U.S. State Department's photo requirements
  • For dependents, a photocopy of the staff member's G4 visa
  • For spouses, the original marriage certificate and copy of the staff member's employment verification letter


The G4 visa is a 'non-immigrant' visa. The G4 visas of a staff member and his/her dependents expire on the last day of the staff member’s service with the World Bank Group, regardless of the date stamped on the G4 visa or I-94. The U.S. provides a 30-day grace period for G4 visa holders to leave the U.S.

Children aged 25 or older ending dependency (as defined by Staff Rule 06.02) are considered for a G4/G1 dependent visa by the State Department/U.S. Consulate on a case-by-case basis if they are unmarried and still fully dependent on the G4 principal. However, if they do not satisfy the U.S. Government’s criteria to obtain a G4/G1 dependent visa, they must obtain an alternate visa to remain in the U.S., or they have a 30-day grace period to leave the U.S. and cannot re-enter the U.S. again on the G4/G1 visa.

There is no formal limit on how many times the State Department can renew a dependent G4/G1 visa for children aged 25 or older. However, renewals are for one year at the most, and the State Department requires verification of dependency with each renewal request.