The World Bank’s office in Baku, Azerbaijan, is seeking applications from suitable candidates to fill the following position:
The Communications Associate's main accountability is to proactively participate in the design and implementation of effective communications and outreach strategies in order to raise awareness and understanding about the World Bank. The incumbent will report to the Country Manager and must be able to:
Duties and Accountabilities:
- design, write, produce and disseminate often complex communications products (e.g., press backgrounders, media packets, news releases, brochures, Q&As, power point presentations, websites, briefing notes, etc.) that are strategic and consistently on-message about the Bank, its policies and operations;
- ensure strategic and timely flow of information and key messages about the Bank, its policies and operations to key internal and external audiences;
- monitor and analyze current events and public and press opinion;
- respond to routine and non-routine inquiries about the Bank from all constituencies to enhance two-way communications and dialogue with key audiences;
- liaise and maintain effective relationships with certain key internal and/or external constituencies (including the media, civil society, NGOs, academia, businesses, government agencies, parliamentarians, etc.);
- manage and maintain the Country Office’s Public Information Center (PIC), including the development and maintenance of the Country website;
- organize, often across multiple teams, press briefings, major conferences and seminars, public or broadcast appearances, and other communications-related activities;
- oversee planning and coordinate scheduling, logistics and briefings for sometimes large communications activities and events (e.g. President's missions and speeches, press conferences, seminars, town hall meetings, etc.) involving internal and/or external audiences;
- work independently on routine tasks and programs, seeking guidance on complex projects/issues from his/her supervisor or more senior staff.
- MA degree in Communications, International Relations/Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing, Political Science, or other related field.
- Minimum of 2 years’ relevant experience in the field of communications, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Good understanding of communications approaches, tools and methodologies related to planning, executing, and monitoring external communications strategies – e.g., campaign management, social marketing, opinion research, outreach tactics, message targeting, etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with internal/external partners in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication; and presentation skills.
- Strong conceptual and research/analytical skills. Good knowledge of social, political, and development issues in the region and country.
- Ability to plan and successfully implement a comprehensive communications program in support of defined objectives.
- Previous experience with Media and/or Civil Society Organizations, or relevant experience as a communications specialist.
- Spoken and written fluency required in the English and Azerbaijani languages. Knowledge of Russian is an asset.
- Strong computer skills; ability to use standard Bank technology packages, e.g., Word, Lotus Notes, PowerPoint, Internet, Excel, etc.
Qualified candidates may apply on-line at:
http://www.worldbank.org/jobs > Employment Opportunities>Professional and technical Staff Opportunities > Vacancy # 101750
Please note that you will need to register before submitting your application.
The closing date is September 12, 2010.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
NOTE: Selected candidate will be offered a two-year renewable Term full time Contract.
Questions may be directed to Ms. Gamar Yusifova at email@example.com Ref: Job # 101750
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.