The main objective of the engagements for the Systematic Country Diagnostic (SCD) in Lao PDR is to identify key development opportunities, challenges and prioritize critical interventions to accelerate progress in ending poverty and boosting shared prosperity in a sustainable way.
For the Country Partnership Framework (CPF), the main objective is to identify and prioritize critical areas where World Bank Group support would have the biggest impact in promoting sustainable poverty reduction and shared prosperity.
Engagements will be conducted with a wide range of stakeholders, including:
- Government: Line ministries in the capital, officials at the provincial level and mass organizations
- National Assembly: Parliamentarians
- Development Partners: UN agencies and other multilateral and bilateral development partners
- Civil Society Organizations: International non-profit organizations (selection to be facilitated through the iNGO Network) and local non-profit associations (selection to be facilitated through the Lao CSO Network), academia and research groups
- Private Sector: Representatives from the business sector, small and medium enterprises (selection to be facilitated through the Lao National Chamber of Commerce and Industry)
LOCATION AND PARTICIPANTS:
The engagements will take place in four places representing the North, Center and South of Lao PDR.
- Vientiane: Participants from the Center of Lao PDR including Vientiane, Xaisomboun, Bolikhamsai, and Khammouane
- Luang Prabang: Participants from the North (Zone A) including Xiangkhouang, Luang Prabang, Houaphanh, Sainyabouli
- Oudomxay: Participants from the North (Zone B) including Bokeo, Louang Namtha, Phongsaly and Oudomxay
- Pakse: Participants from the South including Champassak, Savannakhet, Salavan, Sekong, Attapeu
The engagements process will include both face-to-face meetings as well as online/web-based platform to enable participation by a wide range of stakeholders. The structure of face-to-face meetings will allow plenary presentations and discussions and, if needed, small group discussions, and reporting with a neutral facilitator. For online engagement, an online survey, will be available to people interested to participate who may not be invited.
The engagements with Government, Parliament, private sector, UN and development partners will be conducted in English with simultaneous translation to Lao language. The engagements with provincial officials, civil society organizations and other local groups will be conducted in Lao with simultaneous translation to English.
INVITATIONS AND BACKGROUND MATERIALS:
Invitations and relevant background materials in English and Lao will be sent to the participants within two weeks before the scheduled meetings.
Meeting summaries, in both Lao and English, will be sent to the participants and will be posted on the engagement website for Lao PDR.