CLOSING DATE AND TIME: MAY 15, 2021 @ 5.00 PM WASHINGTON, DC TIME
GLOBAL CORPORATE SOLUTIONS TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETATION UNIT (GCSTI)
THE WORLD BANK
Expression of interest is hereby invited from English, Uzbek, Kazakh, Tajik, Turkmen, and/or Kyrgyz translators to provide freelance translation services for the Global Corporate Solutions Translation and Interpretation Unit (GCSTI) of the World Bank.
Unit issuing the invitation: Global Corporate Solutions Translation and Interpretation
Brief description of the assignment: Individual translation service providers (freelancers)
Place of assignment: Home-based
Commencement date: June 1, 2021
For more info send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Global Corporate Solutions Translation and Interpretation Unit (GCSTI) of the World Bank provides a wide range of language services to its internal clients. Its highly trained in-house language professionals located at headquarters in Washington DC and in regional country offices around the world are supplemented by a network of external vendors (or “freelancers”), who account for approximately 80% of the Unit’s capacity.
GCSTI is seeking to strengthen its vendor capacity in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan with reliable seasoned self-revised translators to serve Bank operations in Central Asia. Translation vendors are expected to provide high quality translations in accordance with World Bank terminology and translation style guide that require very little or no revision.
1. Objectives and Scope of the Assignment
• GCSTI will use the services of the selected vendors, as and when needed, to meet the institution’s translation needs for Central Asia throughout the duration of their contract.
• The vendors shall be paid for the services effectively provided based on GCSTI rates, which are competitive and in line with local standards according to each region.
• The vendors will be asked to submit quality translations requiring very little revision (during a probationary period to be determined by GCSTI) or no revision (after the probationary period).
• Documents to be translated shall be related, but not be limited, to project documents, policy and strategy documents, reports, memos, legal and research papers, and communication materials.
• For each assignment, the parties (vendor and GCSTI) shall agree on the duration, completion date and cost of the service to be provided.
• The payment of vendors, continuation and subsequent renewal of contracts, shall be contingent upon satisfactory periodic and annual performance reviews.
Selected vendors shall work with the Russian Team Client Service Representatives as their interface for administrative matters and with in-house revisers for translation-related issues such as queries, terminology, harmonization, guidance, etc.
3. Duration of the Assignment
A framework contract shall be signed with GCSTI for a duration of one year. It shall commence on or around June 1, 2021 and end on May 30, 2022. The contract shall be renewed each year by GCSTI subject to satisfactory assessment of the performance of the vendor over the preceding year.
4. Qualifications and Experience Required
Prospective vendors shall possess the following qualifications and skills:
• At least a Master’s degree or equivalent qualification/experience in translation;
• Relevant experience of at least ten (10) years in translation in, or regularly with, a development finance institution, an international organization or a similar body;
• Excellent writing skills in English and one or more of the following languages: Uzbek, Kazakh, Tajik, Turkmen, and Kyrgyz;
• Ability to work reliably, independently and effectively, including under pressure, and to meet agreed deadlines;
• Adequate knowledge of the core business, activities and operations of the World Bank;
• Experience working for the World Bank and/or other development finance institutions, national and international financial institutions and relevant national ministries and agencies or international organizations;
• Computer literacy and familiarity with standard software as well as with computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools, especially SDL Studio and GroupShare, or similar software;
• Ability to work in a multicultural and multilingual setting; and
• Ability to work in a team and to communicate effectively.
5. How to Apply
Interested translators are hereby invited to electronically submit (i) a letter of expression of interest, (ii) a resume, and (iii) two letters of recommendation, no later than May 15, 2021, to the following email address email@example.com stating “Call for Expression of Interest – CENTRAL ASIAN LANGUAGES” in the subject line. Shortlisted candidates will be required to take a translation test.
The solicitation may be obtained by sending an email to the address below by referencing the following information:
1. Solicitation Number
2. Company Name
3. Contact Person Name and Title
5. Telephone Number
6. Fax Number
7. Contact's Email Address
A copy of the solicitation will be sent to organizations that have replied to and are eligible to receive this advertisement. All requests and questions regarding this solicitation shall be directed to the following email: