Integrated Solid Waste & Carbon finance
In 2007, only 39% of cities in Brazil had adequate solid waste treatment and disposal facilities. The objective of this project is to improve the treatment and final disposal of municipal solid waste in Brazil including reducing methane emission.
This project supports:
- the closing of open dumps and the construction and operation of modern and environmentally safe landfills or alternatives to waste disposal improved municipal solid waste management practices
- reduction of poverty among waste pickers
- increased private sector participation in solid waste service provision
- capacity building of the federal executing agency Caixa Economica Federal to manage carbon finance projects
- the capture of methane emissions in at least three landfills
As for results so far, a new landfill (Santa Rosa) was built resulting in 2 open dumps being closed and capture and flaring of methane emissions equivalent to 795,000 metric tons of C02.