This course aims at supporting policy makers and urban practitioners to better respond to the challenge of slums. The course focuses on the conceptual and operational aspects of designing, implementing and sustaining a slum upgrading intervention, while underscoring the main policy and programmatic approaches at city level for scaling up upgrading and better planning for future growth. Specifically, at the end of the course, participants will be able to: Understand urban slums, their underlying social, economic, and spatial characteristic, how they emerge and consolidate, and their impacts to local communities and the city as a whole; Analyze evolution of policy approaches to addressing urban slums under different contexts, what worked, what did not work, and why; and Review and apply key operational principles and instruments for designing an upgrading intervention, including planning, finance, infrastructure, land tenure, housing, social inclusion, and sustainability.
About Open Learning Campus
All registered users of OLC can experience its impact of new features. If you are already registered with OLC you can directly sign in to the new system. If you are a new user then do register to avail of the dynamic learning opportunities from WBG to deepen your knowledge and skills on a variety of development related topics. For example, you will have access to timely resources such as:
- Ted like video talks
- Formal learnings (i.e., Self-paced courses/Facilitated Courses/MOOCs)
- Live events and Knowledge Exchanges
- Communities of Practice
You will have access to an extensive catalog of resources through which you can search and discover relevant learning materials.
How to Access the Course Content
To access the course content, please follow the below registration steps:
- Open https://wbg.edcast.com/
- Navigate to “No account?” and select “Create one!”. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Enter the code that you received via email at the “Enter Code” field. Select “Sign in” to continue with the next step.
- Fill in your First and Last Names and select a preferred communication language. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Select up to five learning goals. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Select up to five skills. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Congratulations and welcome to the OLC! You’ll find additional tips and suggestions inside the “Welcome to the Open Learning Campus” channel at the top of the home page.