Road safety is a key development challenge. Every year 1.35 million people die on the roads with more than 93% of these road crash fatalities occurring in low- and middle- income countries (LMICs). Road crashes and injuries disproportionately affect the young, economically productive age groups creating a critical impact on human capital. They not only devastate families emotionally and financially, but also take a toll on the path to development for many LMICs. However feasible solution to reduce fatalities and serious injuries do exist and with access to relevant tools and information, these solutions can be promoted and implemented. This five-week facilitated e-course provides an introduction to road safety, impacts caused by injuries and deaths, global data on mobility, and the global plan of action for road safety improvement. It focuses on the implementation of the Safe System Approach, the importance of road infrastructure safety as well as the management of additional aspects of safety. The course also presents examples of worldwide successful case studies carried out by the World Bank for improving road safety. Participants will be able to learn from global experts and also from peers as they participate in e-discussions and activities.
About Open Learning Campus
All registered users of OLC can experience its impact of new features. If you are already registered with OLC you can directly sign in to the new system. If you are a new user then do register to avail of the dynamic learning opportunities from WBG to deepen your knowledge and skills on a variety of development related topics. For example, you will have access to timely resources such as:
- Ted like video talks
- Formal learnings (i.e., Self-paced courses/Facilitated Courses/MOOCs)
- Live events and Knowledge Exchanges
- Communities of Practice
You will have access to an extensive catalog of resources through which you can search and discover relevant learning materials.
How to Access the Course Content
To access the course content, please follow the below registration steps:
- Open https://wbg.edcast.com/
- Navigate to “No account?” and select “Create one!”. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Enter the code that you received via email at the “Enter Code” field. Select “Sign in” to continue with the next step.
- Fill in your First and Last Names and select a preferred communication language. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Select up to five learning goals. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Select up to five skills. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Congratulations and welcome to the OLC! You’ll find additional tips and suggestions inside the “Welcome to the Open Learning Campus” channel at the top of the home page.