Designing and implementing an effective air quality management (AQM) program relies on understanding the issues affecting the region, raising awareness, collecting data and building capacity. The goal of this course is to provide a basic introduction to concepts of air pollution and its management. Topics include the health impacts of air pollutants, identifying sources of pollution and describing different formation mechanisms and impacts. The course also provides information on the principles of successful AQM programs, and effective program implementation for positive results. As an introductory course, this is intended to provide a survey of various concepts and elements of the AQM planning process. At the conclusion of this course, participants should be able to: o Identify the conditions and/or emission sources that lead to air pollution, its impacts and the multiple benefits of emission reductions. o Understand the reasons for and key elements of AQM programs. o Name common control strategies for various sectors that contribute to air pollution. o Explain the importance of stakeholder engagement, the role of cost-effectiveness or cost-benefit analysis and name different regulatory approaches for implementing emission control strategies (e.g. performance standards, cap-and-trade, incentive and voluntary programs).
About Open Learning Campus
All registered users of OLC can experience its impact of new features. If you are already registered with OLC you can directly sign in to the new system. If you are a new user then do register to avail of the dynamic learning opportunities from WBG to deepen your knowledge and skills on a variety of development related topics. For example, you will have access to timely resources such as:
- Ted like video talks
- Formal learnings (i.e., Self-paced courses/Facilitated Courses/MOOCs)
- Live events and Knowledge Exchanges
- Communities of Practice
You will have access to an extensive catalog of resources through which you can search and discover relevant learning materials.
How to Access the Course Content
To access the course content, please follow the below registration steps:
- Open https://wbg.edcast.com/
- Navigate to “No account?” and select “Create one!”. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Enter the code that you received via email at the “Enter Code” field. Select “Sign in” to continue with the next step.
- Fill in your First and Last Names and select a preferred communication language. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Select up to five learning goals. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Select up to five skills. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Congratulations and welcome to the OLC! You’ll find additional tips and suggestions inside the “Welcome to the Open Learning Campus” channel at the top of the home page.