A side event at the spring meeting of the World Bank
We, Representatives of countries and agencies participating in the high-level meeting in Washington on the margins of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank Group Spring Meetings to support nutrition in Burundi:
- Conscious that nutrition and food security is one of the major concerns of the international community and that the Government of the Republic of Burundi is committed to making every effort to provide an appropriate response by demonstrating political will and progress towards improving nutrition in order to reach the SDGS by 2030.
- Considering that the Government of the Republic of Burundi is fully committed to strengthening action towards nutrition, in particular by joining the Scaling Up Nutrition movement and enacting national policies for nutrition and food security.
- Considering the firm will of the Government of the Republic of Burundi to improving the human capital index by investing in livelihoods.
- Noting that current progress in this area needs to be improved significantly.
- Aware of the different challenges affecting nutrition, including food security and the impact of climate change in a predominantly agricultural country.
- Saluting the firm determination of the Government of the Republic of Burundi and its bilateral and multilateral partners to work together to improve nutrition and food security.
We commit to:
- Support the Government of the Republic of Burundi in implementing and scaling up a national multi-sectoral nutrition plan.
- Support the Government of the Republic of Burundi in its efforts to translate its commitment into action as an early adopter for the Human Capital project.
- Support the Government of the Republic of Burundi in the implementation of early years programs that ensure children have access to adequate nutrition, grow up in good health and achieve their full potential.
- Support nutrition and food security programs to improve livelihood for all households in general and for Burundi’s children in particular.
- Support the Government of the Republic of Burundi’s programs for prevention and resilience to climate change.
- Contribute to making Burundi a best practice for nutrition improvement through a strong partnership which will inspire the rest of the world.