Policymakers and experts convene to promote investment in critical hydromet services to support sustainable development
5 September 2017 - The AMCOMET-Africa Hydromet Forum is being convened under the leadership of the African Union Commission in partnership with the Federal Government of Ethiopia, AMCOMET, WMO, World Bank, African Development Bank, AFD, UNDP and WFP. The Forum will take place at the Africa Union Commission headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, starting 12 September. The Forum, a first of its kind, brings together 500 delegates including African leaders from governments, public and private sectors, civil society, and development partners who agree that improved weather, water, and climate services, known collectively as hydromet, can ease disaster-related losses and boost their economies.
Weather and climate drive nine out of ten disasters in Africa, threatening Africa’s hard-won development gains. Floods, droughts, tropical cyclones, and landslides continue to cause heavy damage and losses to livelihoods. Over the last two decades, these disasters have cost the continent US$10 billion dollars. Given the increasing climate variability, these disasters are projected to increase in frequency and intensity. Improved hydromet services can help ease these losses.
Notable speakers at the Forum include:
- H.E. Josefa Lionel Sacko, AUC Commissioner, REA
- H.E. Mr. Gilberto Correia Carvalho Silva, Minister of Agriculture and Environment, Cabo Verde
- H.E. Aboud Gabir Saeed Fadlallah, State Minister Sudan § Petteri Taalas, Secretary-General, World Meteorological Organization
- Marie Therese Chantale Mfoula Ngakono, Deputy Secretary General, Economic Community of Central African States
- Dr. Jennifer Blanke, Vice President for Agriculture, Social and Human Development, African Development Bank
- Ede Ijjasz-Vasquez, Senior Director, Social, Rural, Urban and Resilience Global Practice, World Bank Group
Dates: September 12-15, 2017 – Press Conference on 15 September 12:30-13:30 (location to be announced)
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia African Union Headquarters: (New Building Conference Center Gate), Roosevelt Street (Old Airport Area), W21K19 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Tel: (251) 11 551 77 00
For more information, please visit https://www.gfdrr.org/amcomet-africa-hydromet-forum-2017