Co-hosted by the World Bank and Dubai Water & Electricity Authority
This workshop provides decision makers across the MENA region with an opportunity to share their knowledge about CSP technology, financing, and power system value, and to learn from other regions actively developing CSP.
A wide range of expert speakers including planners, utilities officials, developers, and investors will present, providing a holistic picture of best practice applied to CSP.
This event is the second of a series held under the World Bank’s CTF-supported MENA CSP Knowledge and Innovation Program (KIP). Last year’s event at the Noor Solar Complex (near Ouarzazate) showed how Morocco has built one of the world’s premier CSP installations. This year’s event will showcase how Dubai is successfully integrating CSP into its growing power system at a market-changing drop in price.
This event will delve into the value of CSP, its pros and cons, and how to scale it up. The sessions will:
- update participants on CSP technologies, costs, and markets worldwide
- show how CSP contributes to greening energy systems alongside other renewables
- share operational experience to date with CSP plants and grid off-takers
- compare the value of CSP’s thermal storage and dispatchability to fossil and variable renewables
- explore opportunities to build a high-tech local CSP supply chain and create employment opportunities,
- share lessons from the MENA CSP KIP on investment decision-making in Jordan, Tunisia and elsewhere
- analyze trends in structuring and financing of CSP projects
- explore solar thermal’s potential for heat & steam generation in the industry
The two days of plenary sessions will be followed by one day of training, demonstrating some of the modules that the KIP will offer to countries in the MENA region in customized packages.
In addition to showcasing new developments, the workshop will continue to strengthen the MENA network of policy makers and utility officials working to integrate renewables into their power markets. All non-confidential presentation materials and reports presented — including the forthcoming report Harnessing CSP for Development — will be shared with participants.
This workshop is by invitation only, but materials will be made publicly available. Please address any questions or comments to email@example.com with CC to firstname.lastname@example.org.