The aim of this call for expression of interest is to establish a qualified pool of candidates for future opportunities for local specialists in multiple countries in Africa with the Finance & Markets (F&M) Global Practice at the World Bank Group.
BACKGROUND / GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Financial Sector Specialist/Senior Financial Sector Specialist
Location: To be determined
The Finance & Markets (F&M) Global Practice aims to help countries build deep, diversified, inclusive, efficient, and stable financial systems which are essential to promoting economic growth, reducing poverty, and increasing shared prosperity. The practice is committed to delivering public and private sector tailored solutions to development challenges by leveraging the whole range of the World Bank Group's (WBG) financial, knowledge/advisory, and convening services for clients. As a joint World Bank-International Finance Corporation (IFC)practice, the F&M Practice brings together the World Bank's knowledge, finance (loans, credits, guarantees, risk management products), and convening services, and IFC advisory at the industry and public sector level into a single suite of development solutions for our clients and the global community. Today, this suite of financial solutions is in excess of US$10 billion in current and pipeline engagement commitments. We also have an ongoing portfolio of about 400 knowledge activities ($73 million) and 98 IFC advisory services (valued at $136 million).
Thematically, the practice is organized into three global solutions groups. The first group’s activities are aimed at strengthening the foundations of stable financial systems by: (i)supporting global financial sector oversight frameworks and policies; strengthening banking regulation and restructuring regimes; improving financial sector integrity efforts and deepening capital markets, insurance, pensions, and investment funds; (ii) improving financial infrastructure and access (credit reporting and collateral); payment systems; responsible financial access: and Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) finance; and (iii) developing long term development finance initiatives such as climate change finance, disaster risk finance and insurance, infrastructure finance, agriculture finance, and housing finance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Financial Sector Specialists will join the F&M Africa Region program and have the following duties and responsibilities:
• Coordinate the Finance and Markets Programs working closely with the WBG Africa regional management, the World Bank Country Director and Country Management Unit (CMU) as well as the IFC and other WBG professionals
• Manage the Finance and Markets financing and advisory projects as needed, focusing on delivering results for clients, managing budgets and supporting teams and clients
• Develop and nurture strong relationships with key client Government institutions (Ministry of Finance, Central Bank, financial regulators, etc.) and private sector and financial sector clients
• Develop new business with clients in financial sector areas identified as priorities by both clients and the WBG
• Represent the F&M practice through attending events, meetings, and workshops as needed
• Report periodically on progress and results to WBG management and donor partners
• Develop research and analytical work as needed related to financial sector issues and share knowledge across the WBG
• Education: Master’s degree in business, finance, law, banking or economics with at least 8 years of relevant professional experience in financial sector issues
• Experience in financial sector policy making, banking regulation and supervision, financial integrity, microfinance, financial inclusion and SME finance, payment systems and credit infrastructure, agricultural finance, capital markets, pensions, insurance, infrastructure finance and digital financial services
• Demonstrated experience working with financial sector policies and government institutions (Central Bank, Ministry of Finance, financial regulator), or banking sector and non-bank financial institutions or financial sector research / financial sector consulting highly desirable, preferably in an emerging market
• Proven project management experience. Experience with development programs either with the World Bank Group or a related organization or donor is a plus
• Action oriented and problem solver. Strong organizational, research, and oral presentation skills
• Proven ability to work in a team and intercultural environment, with minimal supervision. Enthusiasm for, and commitment to development work
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are essential
UPLOAD AND SUBMIT RESUMES HERE