Dear Minister Beqaj, dear Ms. Deputy Minister Ekonomi,
I am happy to be here today, for the launching of the Albanian Health System Improvement Project. This is an important step towards project implementation and achieving the agreed results, for the benefit of the Albanian people. The project is expected to significantly support improving of access, equity and quality of public health services, affecting the life of the whole population. This project is an important part of the World Bank Group’s Country Partnership Framework and we look forward to its effective implementation in order to bring the anticipated results to the citizens.
At first, let me congratulate the Minister of Health – Mr. Beqaj, the deputy minister – Mrs. Ekonomi and key staff for all the work done to bring the project at this stage, and especially for completing the project effectiveness conditions as per the agreed timeline, working hard even during summer time. Congratulations also for identifying and establishing the “network” of main staff, responsible for the implementation of each project component/activities. My special appreciation goes to the Minister of Health for his leadership during project preparation and continued oversight during implementation start up.
I am glad to see that work has already started for a number of technical assistance items, which are the bases for proceeding with key project activities, including:
- Revision of the Hospital Rationalization Plan – to be followed by the implementation of the Plan in selected regions (which is one of the key reforms supported under the Project);
- Assessment of the QSUT (tertiary hospital) management and preparation for the International Company to directly support the management on daily basis;
- Designing of the National Health Information Center - which is the basic step for establishing the overall HMIS (Health Management Information System);
- Designing for the infrastructure upgrade of the Pediatric Hospital, under the QSUT;
- as well as couple of other important TAs for: supporting the Health Insurance Fund and establishing the Health National Accounts.
I would like to take this opportunity to emphasize the need to build on the above mentioned important technical support areas and to maintain implementation momentum. Specifically, following the revision of the Hospital Rationalization Plan, the implementation process needs to immediately start in the three selected regions, enabling improvement of hospital efficiency and quality of care as well as strengthening its management and governance. The reform in this key area will support the achievement of project objectives.
Wishing you a successful implementation of the project!