Video Seminar Series: Avian and Pandemic Flu
February 12, 2014
As part of its contribution to the global community's response to avian and pandemic influenza threats, from 2006 to 2009, the World Bank offered a series of inter-regional distance learning seminars using its Global Development Learning Network. These seminars promoted discussion of topics relevant to pandemic preparedness and One Health. Institutions, governments, technical agencies, donors, nongovernmental organizations, and other stakeholders exchanged knowledge, reviewed progress in specific countries, and shared experiences and good practices and lessons that have been learned. Select videos are posted below.
The first inter-regional knowledge sharing seminar on avian and human influenza focused on the integrated country plans that are the basis for coordinated and effective national response to avian and human pandemic influenza (AHI). The event, involving senior officials from Thailand, Turkey, Vietnam, and Nigeria, allowed an interactive exchange of experience and practice between the officials directly responsible for coordinating their government’s response to AHI.
Communications Planning – September 2006
The following countries and institutions shared their experiences and strategies for implementing AHI communication policies, campaigns and programs: Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Thailand, United States, Vietnam, CDC, UNICEF and WHO.
Compensation Policies: Issues and Good Practice – February 2007
The seminar was led by co-authors from the interagency team comprising of FAO, OiE, IFPRI and the World Bank that developed the “Enhancing Control of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza in Developing Countries through Compensation” report. The co-authors presented and discussed the key findings of the report, while seminar participants engaged in a substantive discussion around some of the main issues arising in this complex policy area. Select countries contributed their experience, in addition to representatives from civil society, the donor community, NGOs, and government and technical agencies. Additional presentations were made by international avian flu experts, including:
- Dr. David Nabarro, Sr. UN System Influenza Coordinator, United Nations
- Ms. Anni McLeod, Sr. Officer, Livestock Policy, FAO
- Dr. Alain Dehove, Co-coordinator of the World Fund for Animal Health and Welfare (OIE)
- Dr. Mohamed Saidu, Component Coordinator, Avian Flu Animal Health Nigeria
- Mr. Sorin Chelmu, Secretary General, Ministry of Agriculture, Romania
- Mr. Nguyen Thanh Son, Deputy Director, Livestock Production Department, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Vietnam
- Mr. Bayu Krisnamurti, Executive Secretary of the National Committee for Avian Influenza Control and Pandemic Influenze Preparedness, Government of Indonesia.
- Development Partners Support the Creation of Global Financing Facility to Advance Women’s and Children’s Health
- 73 Countries and Over 1,000 Businesses Speak Out in Support of a Price on Carbon
- World Bank Group to Nearly Double Funding in Ebola Crisis to $400 Million
- International Food Prices Hit Four-Year Low
- Speech by World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim at Howard University: “Boosting Shared Prosperity”