Statement by World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim on Tunisia’s New Constitution
January 27, 2014
WASHINGTON, January 27, 2014 – World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim issued the following statement on the announcement of Tunisia’s new constitution:
“We congratulate the Tunisian people for the milestone their country has reached with the adoption and signing of the new constitution. The perseverance by both the Tunisian leadership across the political spectrum and civil society to choose the path of dialogue and compromise serves as an inspiration for countries around the world.
The new constitution, based on the principles of respect for human rights, equity, and accountability, will serve as the basis for Tunisian law and for continuing reforms that will ensure that Tunisian development is inclusive of and accountable to all Tunisians. The constitution is the first step that will provide the foundation for Tunisia to continue to advance towards a more equitable and inclusive society.
The World Bank remains a committed partner with the Tunisian people and we stand ready to support Tunisia through the final stage of its transition in the months and years to come.”
- Joint Vietnam-World Bank Group Study Will Seek Path for Higher Economic Growth
- World Bank Group ready to provide financial support worth $15-18 billion over the next three years
- World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim to visit India
- Indonesia Economic Quarterly, July 2014: Hard Choices
- India: Skilled Jobs Help Rural Youth Fulfil Long-cherished Dreams