World Bank and the Government of Switzerland Join Efforts to Support Effective Water Management in the Kyrgyz Republic
November 29, 2013
November 29, 2013, Bishkek – On November 28, 2013, the World Bank and the Government of Switzerland have signed an agreement, establishing the Kyrgyz Republic National Water Resources Management Project Trust Fund.
The objective of the Kyrgyz Republic National Water Resources Management Project is to improve water resources management capability and irrigation service delivery for the benefit of water users. To support activities under this Project, the Government of Switzerland will provide grant financing of US$ 8,526 million for the Trust Fund, which will be administered by the World Bank.
“Efficient water resources management is a factor that will contribute to sustainable development of the Kyrgyz Republic since water has cross-sectoral importance for the country. We are very pleased to team up with the World Bank and jointly support the efforts of the Kyrgyz Government to implement the reform agenda in the sector, in particular implementation of the water code adopted in 2005 and institutional development of partners at all levels starting with a canal, river, basin and national,” says Mr.Holenstein, Ambassador of Switzerland to the Kyrgyz Republic.
The National Water Management Capacity Project, to be implemented in 2014-2017, will provide assistance to the government of the Kyrgyz Republic in the following three areas:
- Strengthening National Water Management Capacity
- Improving Irrigation Service Delivery to Water Users Associations
- Improving Irrigation Management by Water Users Associations
“The energy and agriculture sectors in the Kyrgyz Republic depend entirely on the planning and effective management of water resources,” says Alexander Kremer, World Bank Country Manager in the Kyrgyz Republic. “Not only will this Trust Fund build the capacity of the Department of Water Resources and Land Improvement, National Water Council and WUAs, but it will also help the Kyrgyz government to develop a a National Water Strategy as well as a Water Information System, comprising a database of regularly updated water sector data.”
The Project will benefit all water users in the country through greater transparency and accountability for water use, greater efficiency of water use and a reduction in conflict over water. Key beneficiaries include some 236,000 water users and their families belonging to 481 WUAs nation-wide. The improved security and reliability of water supply, coupled with measures to strengthen water delivery, will help increase agricultural productivity and improve livelihoods for rural communities.
The Government of Switzerland provides assistance for the development of the Kyrgyz Republic and supports projects in areas such as health, private sector development, public sector reform, and infrastructure. Since 1993 Switzerland has provided more than CHF 270 million to Kyrgyzstan in the form of technical, financial and humanitarian support. For more information, please visit www.swisscoop.kg.
The World Bank’s overall mission in the Kyrgyz Republic is to reduce poverty, promote economic growth and shared prosperity. 45 percent of the World Bank’s assistance to the Kyrgyz Republic is in the form of grants. The other 55 percent is in highly concessional credits – no interest, and only a 0.75 percent service charge. Credits are repayable in 40 years, including a 10-year grace period, while grants require no repayment. The financial assistance to the Kyrgyz Republic since 1992 amounts to over US$ 1 billion, in the form of grants and highly concessional credits. For more information, please visit: www.worldbank.org/kg.
- Development Partners Support the Creation of Global Financing Facility to Advance Women’s and Children’s Health
- 73 Countries and Over 1,000 Businesses Speak Out in Support of a Price on Carbon
- World Bank Group to Nearly Double Funding in Ebola Crisis to $400 Million
- International Food Prices Hit Four-Year Low
- Speech by World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim at Howard University: “Boosting Shared Prosperity”