The World Bank Group supports India’s development of human capital with a stronger focus on improving the quality of services while continuing to support efforts to ensure access to key services. The approach recognizes India’s significant strides in making basic education and health services broadly available, but quality of these services needs improvement. Strengthening public sector institutions are a critical element to improving service delivery in these sectors. Key objectives to help India strengthen its human capital include:
- Enhancing investment in the early years of children’s development;
- Improving the quality of education in schools and colleges;
- Increasing access to improved rural water supply and sanitation services;
- Improving the quality of health service delivery and financing as well as access to quality healthcare; and,
- Improving the coverage and coordination of social protection systems.