The Office of the Chief Economist provides guidance on strategic priorities and technical quality of economic analysis in the Latin America and the Caribbean region (LAC).
The Office generates timely and relevant knowledge on policy and institutional reforms in the region. It produces research articles and reports on the most pressing development issues facing the continent and fosters a community of economists interested in Latin America and the Caribbean, within the World Bank and with external audiences.
This mission is accomplished through:
- Advising on country and sectoral strategies.
- Quality enhancement of economic justification and analysis in adjustment and investment lending.
- Ensuring relevance, coherence and quality of non-lending services.
- Developing and disseminating regional economic studies.
- Serving as principal regional spokesperson inside and outside the Bank on strategic and economic issues facing the region.