SOEs play an important role in economic growth and social development but face significant financial performance, service delivery and market discipline challenges. Therefore, improving SOE performance and efficiency is a high priority for most governments. Furthermore, demand from client countries for World Bank Group support on SOE reform has been growing in recent years, particularly given the continuous and increasing role of SOEs during COVID-19. The pandemic has further highlighted the central role of SOEs in the delivery of essential goods and services. SOE reforms, however, are particularly challenging as it often has social and political economy implications and require customized solutions. One of the critical aspects of improving SOE performance is strengthening corporate governance. It includes establishing effective state ownership functions, establishing effective performance monitoring and transparency systems, professionalizing boards, among others. It is important that Bank staff, policymakers and practitioners in partner countries are kept abreast of the many developments in these specific fields and in the area of SOE reform. The course will help participants understand and improve their knowledge of the iSOEF module 4 and practical aspects of how a diagnostic of governance should be undertaken.
About Open Learning Campus
All registered users of OLC can experience its impact of new features. If you are already registered with OLC you can directly sign in to the new system. If you are a new user then do register to avail of the dynamic learning opportunities from WBG to deepen your knowledge and skills on a variety of development related topics. For example, you will have access to timely resources such as:
- Ted like video talks
- Formal learnings (i.e., Self-paced courses/Facilitated Courses/MOOCs)
- Live events and Knowledge Exchanges
- Communities of Practice
You will have access to an extensive catalog of resources through which you can search and discover relevant learning materials.
How to Access the Course Content
To access the course content, please follow the below registration steps:
- Open https://wbg.edcast.com/
- Navigate to “No account?” and select “Create one!”. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Enter the code that you received via email at the “Enter Code” field. Select “Sign in” to continue with the next step.
- Fill in your First and Last Names and select a preferred communication language. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Select up to five learning goals. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Select up to five skills. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Congratulations and welcome to the OLC! You’ll find additional tips and suggestions inside the “Welcome to the Open Learning Campus” channel at the top of the home page.