Gender-based violence (GBV) undermines the core objectives of social protection by eroding human capital, productivity, and well-being, as well as increasing women and children’s vulnerability. This course was designed to equip social protection practitioners with practical insights on how to leverage safety nets to prevent gender-based violence (GBV). The course is based on an operational toolkit entitled Safety First. GBV has substantial individual and collective costs that disproportionately affect poorer women and girls. While reducing GBV is not an objective of most safety nets, research demonstrates that cash transfers reduce intimate partner violence substantially across contexts, sometimes by as much as 66 percent. Given the broad reach of safety nets in many countries, there is potential to leverage them more systematically to prevent GBV. Simple adjustments in the design and implementation of programs can amplify their preventive potential and the empowerment of women. The course aims to: (1) provide a brief overview of the recent impact evaluation literature on cash transfers and GBV, and (2) equip the learner with design and implementation tips at different stages of the social protection delivery chain to empower women and amplify the preventive potential of safety nets.
About Open Learning Campus
All registered users of OLC can experience its impact of new features. If you are already registered with OLC you can directly sign in to the new system. If you are a new user then do register to avail of the dynamic learning opportunities from WBG to deepen your knowledge and skills on a variety of development related topics. For example, you will have access to timely resources such as:
- Ted like video talks
- Formal learnings (i.e., Self-paced courses/Facilitated Courses/MOOCs)
- Live events and Knowledge Exchanges
- Communities of Practice
You will have access to an extensive catalog of resources through which you can search and discover relevant learning materials.
How to Access the Course Content
To access the course content, please follow the below registration steps:
- Open https://wbg.edcast.com/
- Navigate to “No account?” and select “Create one!”. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Enter the code that you received via email at the “Enter Code” field. Select “Sign in” to continue with the next step.
- Fill in your First and Last Names and select a preferred communication language. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Select up to five learning goals. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Select up to five skills. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Congratulations and welcome to the OLC! You’ll find additional tips and suggestions inside the “Welcome to the Open Learning Campus” channel at the top of the home page.