Purchasing power parities (PPPs) are the rates of currency conversion that equalize the purchasing power of different currencies by eliminating the differences in price levels between countries. In their simplest form, PPPs are simply price relatives that show the ratio of the prices in national currencies of the same good or service in different countries. They make it possible to compare the gross domestic product (GDP) and component expenditures of economies in real terms by eliminating the price level differences between them. The price and national accounts expenditure data required to estimate PPPs are collected through the International Comparison Program (ICP). A global statistical initiative, the ICP estimates and publishes the PPPs of the world’s economies. Since the demand for comparable GDP and component expenditures is high, PPPs play a key role in the analyses carried out by policymakers, multilateral institutions, academia, and the private sector. Upon completing the course, the participants will be able to comprehend the key PPP concepts and data requirements; understand the ICP program; connect PPPs with their uses and applications; and grasp basics of PPP calculation methods and processes.
About Open Learning Campus
All registered users of OLC can experience its impact of new features. If you are already registered with OLC you can directly sign in to the new system. If you are a new user then do register to avail of the dynamic learning opportunities from WBG to deepen your knowledge and skills on a variety of development related topics. For example, you will have access to timely resources such as:
- Ted like video talks
- Formal learnings (i.e., Self-paced courses/Facilitated Courses/MOOCs)
- Live events and Knowledge Exchanges
- Communities of Practice
You will have access to an extensive catalog of resources through which you can search and discover relevant learning materials.
How to Access the Course Content
To access the course content, please follow the below registration steps:
- Open https://wbg.edcast.com/
- Navigate to “No account?” and select “Create one!”. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Enter the code that you received via email at the “Enter Code” field. Select “Sign in” to continue with the next step.
- Fill in your First and Last Names and select a preferred communication language. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Select up to five learning goals. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Select up to five skills. Select “Next” to continue with the next step.
- Congratulations and welcome to the OLC! You’ll find additional tips and suggestions inside the “Welcome to the Open Learning Campus” channel at the top of the home page.