Skip to Main Navigation

Human Resources


The World Bank
1818 H Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20433

Report Life Event - Birth


Staff must immediately report any life events or changes in household status within 60 days, except in the case of a child birth or adoption, for which the enrollment window is extended to the first year (for medical insurance enrollment only) from the life event date, even if the supporting documents are not immediately available. Staff must follow up with the outstanding information once it is available.

If the birth is not reported within 60 days of the life event, the staff member will not be eligible to increase the supplemental life insurance and dependent life insurance enrollment, if applicable.




Action by Staff


Report the birth of your child within the first year of the event date via myHR Self-Service (available only on World Bank's intranet).

If you do not have access to myHR Self-Service, complete and submit with the supporting documentation following the submission instructions on the form:

 Supporting documentation includes:

  • Copy of birth certificate (or)
  • Hospital records to confirm relationship


o   If you have submitted Hospital Records as supporting documentation, ensure you submit a copy of the birth certificate once available.
o   Please provide original documents along with English translation for documents in the local language.


Action by HR Operations


Review the submitted request and supporting documents from the staff member and provide approval.


Note: If the supporting documentation is incorrect/incomplete HR will notify them to resubmit.


Action by Staff


View insurance enrollments through myHR Self-Service (available only on World Bank's intranet) after your child has been registered.


You will receive a system-generated email confirmation. 


On-time enrollment deadline: If notification of birth is received after the first year from the event date, you will be required to wait until the next open enrollment period to enroll the dependent.

Additional Information


You might want to re-evaluate beneficiaries for pension

  • To view your current Designation of Beneficiary for Lump Sum Death Benefit follow these steps:

o   Go to myHR Self-Service (available only on World Bank's intranet) and click ‘Pension & Retirement’.

o   Go to myHR Self-Service (available only on World Bank's intranet) and click ‘Pension & Retirement’.

Click ‘View/Print Latest Designation of Beneficiary’.


If you are unable to view your correct ‘Designation of Beneficiary for Lump Sum Benefit,’ complete one electronically. The newer ‘Designation of Beneficiary’ will supersede the current one.

  • To change beneficiaries, you must submit a new beneficiary form. Access Designation of Beneficiary for Lump Sum Death Benefit electronically through the myHR Self-Service. Follow these steps:
    • Go to myHR Self-Service and click ‘Pension & Retirement’.
    • Click ‘Create New Designation of Beneficiary’.

You might also want to re-evaluate beneficiaries for life and accident insurance.


You may be eligible for dependency allowance for your child. Unmarried staff may qualify for Augmented Child Allowance.

CO staff: Each country office has different rules regarding eligibility for dependency (transition) allowance. Contact your CO MBP administrator for details.


You may add one level of additional coverage of Optional Group Life Insurance within 60 days of a life event, subject to a maximum level of Bank-paid coverage plus an optional coverage of six times your net salary. To check your current coverage, use myHR Self-Service.


You may only add one level of Group Life Insurance, even if you have twins or triplets.


If this child is your first dependent—no spouse, domestic partner, or other dependent children—you have 60 days to enroll in Optional Dependent Group Life Insurance.


If you already have Optional Dependent Life Insurance, your child is automatically covered once s/he reaches the minimum age requirement—14 days for HQ, or four years for CO—until they reach age 25.


If applicable, update your Form 70 Tax Allowance Certificate (only available on World Bank's intranet) via myHR Self-Service. Example: if you are a U.S. citizen receiving a tax allowance.


HQ staff should explore child care options in advance as there is usually a long waitlist for getting into a day care. Click here (available only on World Bank's intranet) for information on the World Bank Children’s Center.


Review Bank’s support to breastfeeding at HQ and CO. Review list of lactation rooms (only available on WOrld Bank's intranet) available at HQ.