The Global Symposium on Microfinance, with the theme “Revolutionizing Microfinance: Insight | Innovation | Inclusion” is an opportunity to bring together regulators, for policymakers, financial services providers, mobile network operators and community-based institutions to develop a shared vision of how to harness emerging innovations to meet the needs of the micro and small enterprises, and provide a broad range and affordable financial products and services.
It's also an opportunity to create a network of microfinance experts who can share their insights and experiences so they apply the very latest and most effective approaches in improving financial tools and systems for the most marginalized segments of businesses.
The objectives of the Global Symposium are to:
- Facilitate a broader understanding of emerging global trends in microfinance especially in the context of rapid use of technology to spur products and business model innovation.
- Showcase technology-led and other innovations in microfinance business models, delivery channels, and risk management
- Highlight successful client-centric approaches in providing superior financial services measured by level of access, usage and quality.
- Understand risks and challenges in scaling technology based microfinance solutions and identify proportionate regulatory and supervisory approaches that enable responsible growth.
- Serve as a platform for public-private collaboration in expanding financial inclusion by convening national policymakers and private sector industry leaders
The Global Symposium will convene up to 400 senior management level among the global policymakers responsible for microfinance sectors, related regulators and supervisors, top management of the financial institutions and MFIs, funders, NGOs, practitioners and academicians.
Microfinance Training for Practitioners: “Breaking Through Beyond Traditions” (24 – 26 May 2017)
The Symposium will be followed by a three-day Microfinance Training for practitioners, customized for the mid-level officers of microfinance financial institutions. This training presents opportunities for participants to gain insights, exchange views and best practices, network and share experiences on emerging innovations and technology which are fast affecting the financial service providers and impacting how they operate. Topic coverage includes innovations in microfinance, alternative delivery channels and technology, design thinking, digital credit deployment, use of (big) data in microfinance and new paradigm in credit risk assessment and risk management.