Early Years Fellowship
Governments are increasingly seeking advice and support from the World Bank to increase investments in the early years and improve the quality of early childhood services. The Early Learning Partnership (ELP) launched the Early Years Fellowship in 2017 to support governments and World Bank teams to scale up investments in the early years. An inaugural cohort of 20 young African professionals worked with World Bank teams from 2017-2019 and graduated in June 2019. The program is expanding globally and a second cohort of Fellows from around the world is currently being recruited.
Fellow will work to promote early childhood development (ECD) across education, health, nutrition, social protection and other relevant sectors. The objectives for the Fellowship include to:
- Improve the quality of early years analytical work and program implementation in countries by increasing the number of experienced professionals available to work with country governments and World Bank teams;
- Build technical and professional capacity of local young professionals to respond to client demands, reducing reliance on international technical assistance and ensuring more sustainable and contextually-specific responses at country level; and,
- Raise the profile of ECD among young professionals, demonstrating it can be a viable and prestigious field of work.
Fellows will spend 20 percent of their time enrolled in a professional development program designed to strengthen their technical skills in ECD and their understanding of World Bank operations. The remaining 80 percent of their time will be spent working across sectors to support ECD. The professional development program will include two networking summits, a capstone project, and various trainings and learning experiences.
Fellows will be hired as Short-Term Consultants (STC) at the World Bank for one year, with a second-year renewable, based on performance and continued work program demand. Selection and compensation are competitive.
Who should apply?
Interested candidates should be based in one of priority countries (see list below), or willing to relocate to one of these countries with no compensation for relocation. Other requirements include:
- Citizen/ national of country of application
- Early to mid-career professional between the ages of 25-40 years with demonstrated expertise and/or commitment to advancing ECD in their home countries.
- Graduate degree in a relevant field (including education, economics, statistics, health and nutrition, and social service) and at least 3 years of professional experience in education, health and nutrition or social protection, with preference for previous work in ECD/early learning; OR Undergraduate degree in a relevant field (including education, economics, statistics, health and nutrition, and social service) AND at least 5 years of professional experience in education, health and nutrition or social protection, with preference for previous work in ECD/early learning
- Functional experience in economics, evaluation, project design and operations, policy dialogue, or advocacy desired
- Experience in the public sector, civil society, or multilateral organization preferred
- Demonstrated interest, commitment and high potential in ECD/early learning, and/or human development
- Strong written communication skills and ability to work well in teams, including with senior officials
- Ability to work effectively remotely and travel frequently
- Written and verbal fluency in English and the language requirement of the duty country.