Hosted by: World Bank Tokyo Development Learning Center (TDLC), City of Hiroshima
Cities around the world are grappling with multiple crises such as conflicts, disasters, climate change, and COVID-19. In response, they are establishing new systems and projects, such as climate-smart investments and resilient infrastructure. In this symposium, city officials from Japan and around the world will share their experiences and lessons learned from their crisis management and reconstruction efforts, and discuss steps toward more sustainable urban development.
The City of Hiroshima, which is co-hosting this symposium, has recovered from the devastation of WWII and gained international renown as a city that promotes peace (it will host the G7 Summit in May). Hiroshima can provide valuable lessons for cities currently in crisis, including war-torn Ukraine.
A Ukrainian government official will deliver the keynote speech, sharing urban challenges and reconstruction efforts in Ukraine. An official from Hiroshima City will showcase a video and music presentation that looks back at Hiroshima’s postwar history. Lastly, officials from around the world will participate in a panel discussion to share their efforts to resolve multiple crises in their cities.
Remarks by World Bank Group President David Malpass
Keynote Speech: “Urban Crises and Reconstruction in Ukraine” (TBC)
Video and Music Presentation on the Reconstruction of Hiroshima
- Slide show on the reconstruction of Hiroshima
- Orchestral and choral performance on crises, reconstruction, and the culture of peace (Performance by the Hiroshima Wind Orchestra and Choir Brings Peace)
Panel Discussion: “Overcoming Multiple Urban Crises”
- An official from Hiroshima City
- An official from a city in Ukraine
- An official from a city in Eastern Europe
- An official from a city in Central Asia
- DATE/TIME: 2:30-6:00pm, Wednesday, March 15, 2023 (JST)
- FORMAT: Hybrid (onsite or online)
- VENUE (for onsite participants): International Conference Center Hiroshima Phoenix Hall (Hiroshima, Japan)
- LANGUAGE: English and Japanese (with simultaneous interpretation)
- Admission: Free
- CONTACT: World Bank - Tokyo Development Learning Center (TDLC) TEL: +81-(0)3-3597-1333