Partnering for Affordable Housing Solutions
Goal 11 of the Sustainable Development Goals focuses on sustainable cities and communities. Achieving this goal will require different stakeholders to work in partnership. The World Bank Group is seeking submissions of original, innovative and data-driven ideas on how to make this goal a reality, particularly the role partnerships can play in ensuring access for all to adequate, safe and affordable housing.
Call for Papers | Reall Slides
The overarching theme for your submission should be around partnerships in the planning, financing and construction of affordable housing. The selection committee would like to see original and innovative thinking around the topics below that can take us a step further toward reaching the 2030 Goal. Submissions with a gender or climate focus are highly encouraged.
The theme of Partnership is a broad and encompassing one which can reflect partnerships away from traditional PPP models and take a more innovative or unusual approach. Examples of partnerships can include situations such as:
1. Innovative PPP structures in affordable housing
2. Reviews of successful projects explaining what made them work and who benefited
3. Different forms of partnerships be it with Governments, NGOs, community-based organizations and private sector
4. Housing solutions for the displaced and/or in fragile and conflict environments
5. Technological/digital solutions to catalyze results
6. Solutions taking innovative approach to land allocation/formalization
The paper should address key elements that influence the case study’s replicability and adaptability, such as:
· How partnership came about.
· What the partnership entailed from each partner.
· What each partner contributed and obtained from the partnership.
· How the partnership addresses unknowns, decision-making, incentives, penalties, and counterparty risks.
· Where incentives aligned and where there were frictions.
· Why working together yielded better outcomes.
The call is open to staff of multilateral development banks (not including the World Bank Group), housing practitioners, academia, donor organizations and non-profit organizations.
Submissions will be evaluated on technical quality and relevance and should be based on the following criteria:
· Innovative approach should be essential to applicability
· Clear exposition of all financing aspects
· Highlight technological advancements
· Potential for Development Impact
· Potential for replicability across countries
Submission Process and Guidelines
· Send your abstracts (PDF) of max. 500 words, including proposed title, author(s) name(s) and contact information to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for receiving abstracts is January 20, 2020
· Abstracts will be reviewed by the selection committee and authors of approved abstracts will be notified by February 27, 2020 and asked to proceed in developing their full paper submission.
· Full paper submissions are not to exceed 30 pages (Font: Times New Roman, 12pt, justified; not including annexes).
· Full paper submissions must be sent as a Word document via email to email@example.com by 5:00 PM (EST) on March 27, 2020
· A Panel of Judges will rigorously review the full paper submissions and notify the authors/producers of the selected papers by April 24, 2020
· Authors of the selected papers will be asked to further refine their submissions and either prepare to make a presentation at the Global Conference.
· The deadline for final submissions is May 15, 2020.
Panel of Judges and Review Process
A Panel of 8 senior housing practitioners will review submissions and will make final selections. Reviews will be based on a scoring system and judges will convene to discuss selections. Submissions will be anonymized before being reviewed by the judges to avoid any biases.
· The winning submissions will have the opportunity to publish a summary of the paper in the International Union for Housing Finance Journal and/or the World Bank’s website.
Important dates to note:
· Deadline for sending abstracts: January 20, 2020
· Notification of approved abstracts: February 27, 2020
· Full paper/media submission: March 27, 2020
· Notification to winners: April 24, 2020
· Final submission: May 15, 2020
· Global Conference: May, 2021
Please send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Updated: Mar 03, 2020