February 28th, 2013 (8:30am-6:00pm EST)
- Watch the complete recorded live-stream of ICT Solutions Day
- Experience the World Bank Live Session With Todd Park, including recorded live blogging
- View photographs of the day's sessions
8:30-10:15 Crowdsourcing Development Solutions for a Smarter Future
Join United States Chief Technology Officer Todd Park and other global experts for a live-streamed conversation about the role of technology in a “smarter future”.
In their keynote address, speakers set a vision for the future that is inevitably moving towards creating more with less for more and being smart in planning ahead. The role that technology can play is both powerful and resourceful. How the World Bank can retain its leadership position in providing solutions to development challenges and lead towards this smarter future?
- Welcome and Address: Jose Luis Irigoyen, Director - Transport, Water, and ICT, World Bank
- Opening Remarks: Rachel Kyte, Vice President - Sustainable Development Network, World Bank
- Keynote Address: Todd Park, United States Chief Technology Officer
Following these opening remarks, a roundtable session highlighted some of the real life development challenges that top policy makers face, and that need smarter solutions. Speakers sharedtheir view on why innovation is key to addressing the challenges and how technology- assisted and information-driven solutions are a must for smarter development.
- Moderated by: Chris Vein, Senior Manager, ICT Unit, World Bank (former U.S. Deputy Chief Technology Officer)
- H.E. Jean-Philbert Nsengimana, Minister of ICT and Youth, Rwanda | Presentation (pdf, .8MB)
- H.E. Edward Omane Boamah, Minister of Communications, Ghana | Presentation (pdf, 1.7MB)
- Bikesh Kurmangaliyeva, Deputy Chairperson of the Board, “Zerde” National ICT Holding, Kazakhstan | Presentation (pdf, 1MB)
- Vinzon Manansala, Chief of Systems Development and Maintenance Division,
Department of Budget and Management, Government of the Philippines | Presentation (pdf, 100KB)
- Eddy Ampié, Ingeniero del proyecto de telecomunicaciones rurales UCP TELCOR,
- Shantayanan Devarajan, Chief Economist, Africa Region, World Bank
- Andrew Stott, former Deputy CIO, UK Government
11:00-12:30 Best Practices in Smarter Development
The session presentedhe latest “smart solution” approaches globally, and discussed how they could be applied to problems in the developing world.
- Moderator: Randeep Sudan, Sector Manager, ICT Unit, World Bank
- Best Practices in Smarter Government: Beth Simone Noveck, Professor at New York University and MIT Media Lab (pdf, 2.5MB)
- Best Practices in Smarter Cities: Jarmo Eskelinen, Chair, ENOLL/CitySDK | Presentation (pdf, 3.3MB)
- Best Practices in Job Creation: Matt Cooper, Vice President, International & Enterprise, ODesk (pdf, 1.1MB)
- Commentary by Tim Kelly, Lead ICT Policy Specialist, ICT Unit, World Bank and Theresa Pardo, Director, Center for Technology in Government
1:30-3:00 Lightning Talks: Enablers of Smart Development
This session is intended to facilitate rapid insight among participants of how the key enablers of “smart” solutions can make a difference. Expert presenters delivered brief “lightning talks” on their themes using specific examples from World Bank and global experience. Participants then had the chance to respond and to explore how the topic might be applied to their development priorities and challenges. Links to the presentations are included below.
- Moderator: Deepak Bhatia, eGovernment Practice Leader, ICT Unit, World Bank
- Open Government and Open Data (pdf, 1.3MB) Samia Melhem, Lead ICT Policy Specialist
- Broadband (pdf, 1.1MB) Doyle Gallegos, Lead ICT Policy Specialist
- Cloud Computing (pdf, 750KB) Andrew Stott, Senior Consultant ICT Unit
- Cybersecurity (pdf, 800KB) Sandra Sargent, Senior Operations Officer | Additional Information (pdf, 400KB)
- Smart Cities (pdf, 3MB) Arturo Muente Kunigame, Senior ICT Policy Specialist
- Citizen Engagement and Civic Tech (pdf, 3.5MB) Catherine Bracy, Director of International Programs at Code for America and Edward Anderson, ICT Policy Specialist
- Design Thinking/Open Innovation (pdf, 3.2MB) Mikko Koria, Development Director, IDBM Program, Aalto University School of Economics and Merrick Schaefer, Senior Innovation Specialist
- eID (pdf, 700KB) Tenzin Dolma Norbhu, Senior ICT Policy Specialist
- Microwork (pdf, 1.1MB) Cecilia Paradi-Guilford and Lyudmila Bujoreanu
3:15-5:00 Breakout Session: Country Solutions
In this session participants were divided into small groups and brainstormed ideas on how “smart enablers” might be used to address each Problem Statement presented in Country Challenges session earlier in a new way.
5:00-5:45 Closing Plenary: Key Takeaways from Country Solutions session
This event kick-started a continued effort of co-creating smarter development solutions for a smarter future. The most promising solutions that have been discussed will be explored in more detail with countries that express their interest in working with the World Bank.
- Moderator: Chris Vein, Senior Manager, ICT Unit, World Bank
- Presenters: Group facilitators and Participating Ministers/Clients
5:45-6:00 Closing Remarks
What will it take to move from talk to action on smarter solutions using technology and innovation?
- Jose Luis Irigoyen, Director, Transport, Water and ICT, World Bank
- Aleem Walji, Director, Innovation Labs, World Bank Institute
- Chris Vein, Senior Manager, ICT Unit, World Bank