Call for Papers on Housing Finance
Goal 11 of the Sustainable Development Goals focuses on sustainable cities and communities and the World Bank Group is seeking submissions of original, innovative and data-driven ideas on how to make this goal a reality, particularly the role housing finance can play in ensuring access for all to adequate, safe and affordable housing.
The biennial Global Housing Finance Conference, hosted by the World Bank Group, is the foremost global event for housing finance. The next conference (the 8th in the series) will take place in Washington, DC on May 30 – June 1, 2018. The author(s) of the final selected paper(s) will be invited to present their ideas at the conference and their papers will be published on select platforms. In parallel, the producers/original content providers of the selected media submissions will have their short videos broadcast throughout the conference. All hotel and travel expenses of the winning submissions will be covered by the World Bank.
The overarching theme for your submission should be around innovation and transformation in the housing finance system. The selection committee would like to see original and innovative thinking around the topics below that can take us a step further toward reaching the 2030 Goal. Submissions with a gender or climate focus are highly encouraged.
1. Housing Finance Policy Reforms
2. Affordable Housing Solutions: lending to low-income and informal sector groups
3. Housing finance solutions for the displaced and/or in fragile and conflict environments
4. Technological/Digital solutions to catalyze results
5. Housing Microfinance
Parallel Call for Papers
As earlier indicated, there will be a parallel call – one focused on paper submissions and the second on media. The media submissions should be original short videos or documentaries that demonstrate the impact of some of these innovative housing finance solutions in actual communities. Recycled videos used on other platforms will not be accepted.
The call is open to staff of multilateral development banks (not including the World Bank Group), housing finance practitioners, academia, donor organizations and non-profit organizations.
Submissions will be evaluated on technical quality and relevance and should be based on the following criteria:
· Innovative approach should be essential to applicability
· Highlight technological advancements
· Potential for Impact
· Potential for replicability across countries
Submission Process and Guidelines
· Send your abstracts (PDF) of max. 500 words, including proposed title, author(s) name(s) and contact information to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for receiving abstracts is December 11, 2017.
· Abstracts will be reviewed by the selection committee and authors of approved abstracts will be notified by January 16, 2017 and asked to proceed in developing their full paper/media submission.
· Full paper submissions are not to exceed 30 pages (Font: Times New Roman, 12pt, justified; not including annexes).
· Media submissions are not to exceed 10 minutes of video.
· Full paper submissions must be sent as a Word document via email to email@example.com by 5:00 PM (EST) on March 16, 2018
· A Panel of Judges will rigorously review the full paper submissions and notify the authors/producers of the selected papers/media by April 18, 2018
· Authors/Producers of the selected papers/media will be asked to further refine their submissions and either prepare to make a presentation at the Global Conference or to showcase their videos.
· The deadline for final submissions is May 8, 2018.
Panel of Judges and Review Process
A Panel of 5 senior housing finance practitioners will review submissions and will make final selections. Reviews will be based on a scoring system and judges will convene to discuss selections. Submissions will be anonymized before being reviewed by the judges to avoid any biases.
· Opportunity to present your paper/media content at the 8th Global Housing Finance Conference in Washington, DC (all travel costs covered)
· Publication of a summary of your paper in the International Union for Housing Finance Journal and/or on the World Bank’s website
Important dates to note:
· Deadline for sending abstracts: December 13, 2017
· Notification of approved abstracts: January 16, 2017
· Full paper/media submission: March 16, 2018
· Notification to winners: April 18, 2018
· Final submission: May 8, 2018
· Global Conference: May 30 – June 1, 2018
Please send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org