The Office of the Executive Director for Brazil, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Haiti, Panama, Philippines, Suriname, and Trinidad & Tobago have played an important role at articulating the interest and desires of their governments since they joined the World Bank Group (WBG). Our constituency includes: IDA graduates, one IDA recipient and IDA contributor countries; one G20 member and four G24 members. Our constituency is also one of the twelve G11 chairs.
We actively engage in the decision-making process of the WBG Board with our countries’ individual and collective interests as well as the Bank’s interest being our key concern. In doing so, we carry out consultations and negotiations with other Executive Director Offices. As of November 2014, our chair became a member of the Budget Committee (BC) and the Committee on Development Effectiveness (CODE). We also enthusiastically participate in deliberations of the other Board Standing Committees, i.e. Audit Committee, Committee on Governance and Administrative Matters (COGAM) and Human Resources Committee (HRC).
Under the leadership of our Executive Director, Mr. Otaviano Canuto, and that of our Alternate Executive Director, Ms. Diana Quintero, as well as with the support from our senior advisors, advisors, and hardworking support staff, EDS15 continuously maintains a constructive dialogue with the country authorities, management, and staff. We work as a team and, although our staffs come from different countries, each and every one of us is at the service of all the member countries of the constituency.
In conformity with our authorities’ directives, the chairs’ priorities include:
- Ensuring that the Bank’s decisions, actions and activities are driven by its clients’ demand;
- Mainstreaming South-South Cooperation;
- Promoting the use of country systems;
- Encouraging the IFC to embrace new challenges;
- Harmonize staff incentive systems with corporate development goals and objectives;
- Ensuring that Haiti’s reconstruction remains a priority on the Bank’s agenda;
- Strengthening the Bank’s partnership and collaboration with other development partners.
We are united in pursuing the WBG’s urgent mission and along with management and staff we are implementing the critical changes needed to deliver results for our clients.